Large Scale Central

Anyone using these plants? Words of wisdom?

Any experience with these two perennials??

We found two new perennials this year, and I don’t know how hardy they are. One is Sedum Sieboldii ‘Dragon’. Looks nice, but I can kill anything. The other is a Lithodora diffusa ‘Grace Ward’. These could be good additions is they will make it in ‘field’ conditions - nothing gets coddled here!

On a positive note, Mexican Heather just hit the stores out here ths week. We use it like a small fruit tree as it will get 10-12" on a stem. I’ve seen them in white and purple flowers. Stays in bloom until frost, so it’s a goody.

I’ll keep the Mexican Heather in mind

Hi Jane Do they have the Mex. Heather at H-D and/or Lowes?

They both look familiar and I’m pretty sure I have both those out on the layout somewhere. Sedums do very well here and I have quite a few varieties, so you shouldn’t have any problem with it.

I’ll get some pictures later of some others I just planted and those 2 you mentioned, if I can find them…:wink:

Most sedums grow quick and spread everywhere, make great groundcover cause they’re darn near indestructible…

I switched all my ground cover to sedums. They do well in sun and shade, dont need a lot of water once established, spread nice and hard to kill. I have tried all the thymes and never had good luck with them. Dont survive our winters. Another great ground cover that does well for me is creeping Phlox. The stuff look great year round.

I had one sedum that overran everything. Just one of those fleshy leaves left on the ground would turn into a brand new monster plant.

Don’t know if I have a pic - I’ve been having trouble uploading pix here anyway lately… but this particular sedum had pale yellow leaves about 1/2" long and yellow flowers. It’s great far away from the Railroad, but I wouldn’t use it anywhere near the tracks or bridges or scenery if I were you. It’ll drive you nuts.

I have another sedum with much smaller leaves, a darker green, tiny yellow flowers, and it’s one of my favorites - quite easy to control, no trouble at all… looks a bit like a meadow, you might say.

Cheers!

Dan, Dave,

The Mexican Heather was at Home Depot, but Lowe’s will eventually carry it too. I think we are just early looking for it.

Shawn, Bart

Agree that sedums are the way to go for us too! I think this makes the 6th variation that we have on the layout. Some nice color options now too.

Our area is also good for thyme, so we have some nice options. We have success with red, white, pink chintz, mini, minus and wooly growing for 6 years now. I did pick up more wooley thyme this year to replenish an area, but it’s only spotty because the weeds/clover tried to claim that spot. We are learning by trial and error (lots of error!). Everything here is getting full sun.

Ken,

I’ll get Andy to help me post a pic of these.

You don’t say where you live Jane so it would be hard to make an recommendation. Its hard to go wrong with sedums and most do well with enough sun. Monrovia says Lithodora ( http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1807/grace-ward-lithodora.php ) likes zones 6 - 8 and I’m smack in the middle here in Maryland but I have never seen it here. They also say its a natural for Mediterranean gardens so I’m guessing it likes good drainage (sandy loam), regular water and warm and dry summers. Our clay soil and mid summer, hot but humid droughts regularly do such plants in.

Mexican heather (Cuphea hyssopifolia) just showed up this week with the Lantana in my area (picked up at a Lowes). I picked up one for the RR.

-Brian

Brian her profile says Nashville,in. witch is zone 5

dick

Brian, Dick,

Yes, we’re in Southern IL, working the Bluestone Southern RR. We have the same sorry clay as you mention, hot in the summer, etc. In other words, my lithodora and I may have a very short relationship. Hate it when that happens! Will give it a try and see what happens. Appreciate all the feedback on this variety. Glad I am only trying 2 of them to see how it goes.

Jane

Jane,

I just picked some of that sedum also, though my local greenhouse called it ‘Dragon’s Blood’. I’m planting mine in a trouble area where there is only about half the day is sun, rest is shade. The florest said this stuff should work real well, he hasnt steered me wrong yet so I trust his judgement.

So where are the pictures???

Chuck Inlow said:

So where are the pictures???

Dito here to…

Pics or it didn’t happen!