Large Scale Central

Edging Material?

Looking to see what others are using for edging material around there railways?

I am getting ready to start my new build and I want to do things a little different then I did on my last one…hopefully to correct some issues that I used to have.

I want to use some type of garden landscape edging to isolate the roadbed from it’s surroundings. As my old layout aged (made it 8-years) it was increasingly frustrating tryng to keep grass and other plant life from growing into the train tracks.

So what is everyone else using?

I want something that will install easy if possible!

Thanks,

Vinny

Was going to check this product out:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_6015-215-MS06200_0__?productId=3438352&Ntt=landscape+edging&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dlandscape%2Bedging&facetInfo=

I have the Suncast (pound in) stone(plastic edging) and I really like it . Walmart has it but I got it at Kmart in the late fall where you buy 1 box get one free.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Suncast-Border-Stone-Edging/6435917

I’ve tried the plastic edging with the ribs, but it always frost heaves, so, basically, I cut a trench for the roadbed, line it with landscape fabric, then backfill with grushers fines, or as the call it here, Aglime… My track floats on the roadbed…

Andy Clarke said:

I’ve tried the plastic edging with the ribs, but it always frost heaves, so, basically, I cut a trench for the roadbed, line it with landscape fabric, then backfill with grushers fines, or as the call it here, Aglime… My track floats on the roadbed…

Andy, does your track get sea sick?

Oh, never mind, I’ll go to my room.

Shaddup, Rooster! :slight_smile:

Steve??? only at night, after binge drinking…

Andy Clarke said: I cut a trench for the roadbed, line it with landscape fabric, then backfill with grushers fines, or as the call it here, Aglime… My track floats on the roadbed…

This is how I did my roadbed on my last layout, with the exception of not using landscape fabric to line the trench with…

Maybe I should just do it the same way again but add the fabric?

I just really had a hard time controlling the plants and grass from growing right into the roadbed.

If only I could get the damn grass to grow like I need it to on my actual lawn as easy as it grows on a train layout I would be all set!

Vincent, the wife controls the grass & weeds in the roadbed with spraying grass&weed kill…

Unless you use concrete for a roadbed, ther will always be grass and weeds groing into it… they will grow anyplace they can establish roots…

I used edging before, a lot of work, and not much benefit…

Andy Clarke said:

Vincent, the wife controls the grass & weeds in the roadbed with spraying grass&weed kill…

Unless you use concrete for a roadbed, ther will always be grass and weeds groing into it… they will grow anyplace they can establish roots…

I used edging before, a lot of work, and not much benefit…

I wish I could use a spray to kill weeds but I don’t want to chance any chemicals getting into my fish pond.

The weeds seem to grow the best where I have edging… :slight_smile:

For edging I have used those cement wall blocks that HD Lowes sells. I have also used a piece of 1x4x10 PT to seperate the RR from grassy sections. To secure the 1x4 sections I had some copper pipe laying around so I cut that about 20" long and pounded them into the ground every 3-4 feet along the board. I then used pipe clamps on the track side to hold the board. This way I can run my lawn mower right down the edge of the board.

You can see the 1x4 edge in this photo. Of course this works best on straight sections but can be pieced with short sections to sort of follow a curve.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/capecodtodd/_forumfiles/LedgeWorkCrew.jpg)

When it comes to grass and mostly weeds they will find a way to jump the border. but the border does slow them down and it keeps visitors from walking right up and kicking the track.

I just use natrual stone found on my property. I dont really use it to control weeds. I use it for walls and areas where erosion occures.

Shawn Viggiano said:

I just use natrual stone found on my property. I dont really use it to control weeds. I use it for walls and areas where erosion occures.

Me too. Most places where my railroad is close to the lawn there is a buffer of moss that is welcome to grow right up to the ballast. I tried planting grass, but the area is too shady. The moss took over on it’s own. I just help replenish it when I disturb areas with construction.

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Post3/SummerRun2012-04.JPG)

Nice picture, Jon.