Large Scale Central

So it Starts

Out playing trains today, temps have been cold and the wind colder, it seems like we had snow last week? but there in the garden popping up amongst my ties are weeds, lots of them. I don’t know if they are the forget me nots that John Le foriester wrote about here recently but they are short 2"tall and already have what looks to be flowers on them. I parked a work train on the worst weedy spot of track and started pulling, I loaded up 2 gondolas from 8 feet of track and that was just from inbetween the ties.

This year the weeds seem to be starting early. It is nice to see some greenery finally sprouting out there but not on top of and through the track. What is a good way to kill these buggers. In Johns thread others mentioned bleach or vinegar with mixed results. I’d rather not use a roundup type of poison since I do like some of the weeds just not the ones directly on the tracks.

What can I use to spray along the main to keep weeds down and not wreck my track or surrounding plants?

Thanks.

Agent Orange ???

Seriously, you could paint on Roundup (or Spectracide which is much cheaper) with a small brush along the track and if careful not affect anything beyond the ballast.

It’s been so dry and windy here that not much is growing yet. My front yard is a dust bowl.

Jon Radder said:

Agent Orange ???

Seriously, you could paint on Roundup (or Spectracide which is much cheaper) with a small brush along the track and if careful not affect anything beyond the ballast.

It’s been so dry and windy here that not much is growing yet. My front yard is a dust bowl.

Same here Jon. Fire season has started.

Todd you can always switch to narrow gauge, then it would be ok having weeds growing in-between the tracks.

Jane’s already put out ““Preen”” and this weekend, she was spraying ““Roundup””…

they say our Drought is over…

Seems to me it hasn’t rained much.

Hey Todd, my wife is a Master Gardener and a couple of weeks ago at one of her garden club meetings a speaker gave them a solution to killing weeds that is all natural.

Get your self a quart bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar with 5% acidity and attach a pump spray nozzle to it. She used it on the weeds around our back yard and on my railroad and it actually worked better and faster then Round-up. But make sure you only spray it on what you want to get rid of because it will kill anything you spray it on.

Chuck

Likely would work as well with cheap vinegar.

The vinegar usually doesn’t kill the roots, though.

What about Mad Dog 20/20?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

What about Mad Dog 20/20?

I don’t know if it will kill the weeds, but if you drink enough of it you won’t care.

Oscar is mowing the lawn. It’s 34 degrees (1C). There was snow yesterday.

Ok, we’re done with Global Warming, but how about a little Spring Warming?