Large Scale Central

Watering my DRY railroad

I ran the sprinkler again in my railroad to water everything. Been so dry. Used a hose and sprinkler, my system is turned off for the winter. Watered some smaller trees in my windbreak also. Might want to do this to your layout, if you are in a drought, as we are here in Nebraska.

We just had 4 days of cold, rainy weather…we could use some drying out…:wink:

we lost quite a few small trees and bushes this past summer, due to drought… the coming outloook isn’t so good for next year, either…

I was curious about watering in the winter and could use some advice.

I was told it isnt a good idea to water in the winter because it might pull the plant our of hybernation and thus kill the plant due to cold. Is that true?

Thankfully we got some snow earlier this week so I have good moisture now. We must have taken all the snow before it reached you Jerry.

It won’t hurt the plants, since it rains in the winter, too. (well, at least in some places it does…;))

Jerry, I have 6 acres full of Aspen at my Colorado mtn cabin (Como, but I am in NM). When I spent last summer there I lost 30 lbs clearing dead Aspen and I have only just started, not even a dent. I know Aspen do not last long but I’d estimate that 25% are dead from a very severe drought. They are at 10000’ and still no snow this winter. I can’t afford another 30 lbs! (well…maybe)

I water plants here all winter, off and on, especially trees since they are not natural and you don’t want to let the roots dry out. Actually, my Aspen in Albuquerque are healthier than the ones in Colorado! Trust me, even here in the desert, they are not going to come out of hybernation. They are not like bears.
Jim

Here in the High Desert of New Mexico (Farmington) we routinely water in the winter, if it goes to long with out moisture, Even My wives roses get a couple of drinks generally in the winter. The Sprinklers are shut down, and 3-4 mths with out much water and we can lose a bush or two. We only avg. about 6 inches of moisture a year. And if you don’t water it, it won’t grow.

It has been so dry so long that I lost one plant to drying out and it is half in the shade. First the full sun part went then it appears too late for the part shaded part. Guess I try to save it too late. Good news is, that plant only costed me $1.07 at Lowes. My creeping phlox however is still recovering from too much sun.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll definately water my plants when needed then. Thankfully we have gotten some moisture with just a skiff of snow still on the ground from earlier this week.

I just shut off my automatic sprinklers yesterday, as we’re supposed to get a couple of inches of rain over the weekend, and we’ve already gotten 50% of our annual rainfall.

My backyard is full of leaves, the two citrus trees are full of oranges and tangerines respectively. The yard is officially closed for the rainy season.

I’ll think about improvements in about four months!

Dick Friedman said:
The yard is officially closed for the rainy season. I'll think about improvements in about four months!
Hee hee. My yard is under several inches of ice/snow. Improvements are definitely months away ;) or :(

My RR is watered with a drip irrigation system, parts of which are 30 years old (and no longer available AFAIK). Newer sections are fine. I water only about ten minutes every other day during the non rainy season. Usually no watering from October to March, but this year was a little hotter and drier, so watered through November.

I haven’t watered in a while, and the yard is still muddy from the rains. Oh well, I’ve got about 100 cars to put at least one kadee coupler on, some buildings to paint. By then, it will be time to see if the plants survived the weather.

Dave Taylor said:
Even My wives roses get a couple of drinks generally in the winter.

So how many wives do you have?

(http://www.outsidetrains.com/smile/71.gif)

Tom Ruby said:

Dave Taylor said:

Not as many as Solomon … (He married ever so many wives. He married nine hundred and ninety-nine wives, besides the Most Beautiful Balkis; and they all lived in a great golden palace in the middle of a lovely garden with fountains. He didn’t really want nine-hundred and ninety-nine wives, but in those days everybody married ever so many wives, and of course the King had to marry ever so many more just to show that he was the King.)

Chris Vernell said:

Tom Ruby said:

Dave Taylor said:

Not as many as Solomon … (He married ever so many wives. He married nine hundred and ninety-nine wives, besides the Most Beautiful Balkis; and they all lived in a great golden palace in the middle of a lovely garden with fountains. He didn’t really want nine-hundred and ninety-nine wives, but in those days everybody married ever so many wives, and of course the King had to marry ever so many more just to show that he was the King.)

Its good to be King! :smiley:

Steve Featherkile said:

Chris Vernell said:

Tom Ruby said:

Its good to be King! :smiley:

I would have to argue that perhaps he was a little crazy.