Large Scale Central

Getting a little help from unexpected quarters

Our predecessor, in his “wisdom” converted what once was three levels of lawn to a potential jungle. Planted cedars and plenty of juniper for ground cover. Fast forward 25 years and yes, it’s a jungle. The top tier was taken care of a few years back and is now a new jungle - that’s what you get when the equal half is a pack rat - garden, house, whatever!
But I digress , two weeks ago the Super of Ops of the District shows up and explains his problem. The district has a sewer easement that runs between/through our and the neighbours property. Tree roots have invaded the neighbour’s sewer outlet to that line.
Most likely culprit a LARGE curly willow on our property, potential, additional culprits the cedars along the property line. Yesterday the District removed most of the cedars - more to go today. Also to go the large curly willow.

The SoO was very surprised at how agreeable I was to have them out - apparently that is not the usual experience.

Whenever this subject was broached with SWMBO it was all about wildlife habitat e.g birds, mice, snakes etc. As if they haven’t the whole park right behind us to decamp to!
Phase Two has also been “Approved” and I was already sight lining the potential railway extension possibilities - should I live that long. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

Keeping the cedars? Cut em up for trestles!

Lol, Hans he probably doesnt encounter our breed that often.

@ Bob,

These are the ornamental cedars used for hedges, not much good for anything else. We have some on the other side of the house, those are determined to be “trees”. I’ll get a quote from the guys who remove the willow, to cut them down to size they are getting too “uppity”.

@ Jake

Well the SoO was of the opinion that I make his job really easy and then asked if I’m not attached to those trees. I turned my head to look behind me “No, it doesn’t look like I am.” :wink: :slight_smile:

Atta boy Hans…you should be quite comfortable in the garden/train shed :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Ah. I have about a half-dozen cedar trees that I’ve dropped and limbed. One of these days Ill chainsaw one side flat-ish, and start cutting them into blocks in the table saw.

HJ, at least they did not have to dig up the yard and RR! I have one of those easements in my yard as well, we always hope that it need has to be dug up.

Paul

Ross Mansell said:
Atta boy Hans...you should be quite comfortable in the garden/train shed :) :)
Nah, the garden shed is hers .... and is one of the cat's most favourite spots. The dog and I are quite satisfied having the use of the house, air conditioning and all.

The trees are gone! Hurrah!
The rock garden is done, except for the planting SWMBO needs to finish. Hurrah!

Tomorrow morning it’s back to what counts, hauling stuff for the layout! :smiley:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
The trees are gone! Hurrah! The rock garden is done, except for the planting SWMBO needs to finish. Hurrah!

Tomorrow morning it’s back to what counts, hauling stuff for the layout! :smiley:

Hey!!! Get that new lawn planted first! :smiley:

Nope, no lawn!

We’ve been reducing the lawn at a steady rate and it will continue at a steady rate. Part of Phase Two - after the pros are done - is more rock garden with drip irrigation and all that good stuff. Perfect base to add more RhB Line when the time arrives. In the meantime very little muss and fuss.

BTW speaking of Pros, neat little trick the foreman of the tree removal crew told me and then showed me. Wellllll his first question was “do you have any RoundUp?” It just so happened I picked up a liter of the concentrate a few days ago.
After he had that big Curly Willow down to the ground - only the stump left and that will be ground - he carved a groove along the perimeter of the stump surface then poured the RoundUp in the groove to seep in and kill the roots. What he mentioned was “Do it right away, otherwise the tree will send up the sap and it won’t work”. He did the same to the stump I left standing (and kicked myself) since it kept sending out shoots.
Even though I treated it with the “drilled holes and bleach method”.
Another landscaper told me that using Diesel with the drilled holes method will work for sure.

Well, I now count on the RoundUp concentrate. :wink: :slight_smile: