Large Scale Central

Summer project

Just as soon as we get back from our trip to the WP&Y, and a few other interesting stops, time to finish the retaining wall (red line) and shift around all the gravel dirt and rock that is “stored” to build one more mountain (orange sprayed area).

In between to recuperate there are plenty of other items, like the stone bridge at Muot which I trial fit today.

The hill to the left of the bridge will need a bit more elevation to place the ruins of the watch/toll tower on.

First day back “to work”, first item on the list: clean-out the water works.
While we were away they had one hell of a storm with torrential rains. A fine selection of more crud in the water and on the railway.

And then it was time to add some flagstone steps around that access area to Thusis staging.

(http:///P1/ThusisSteps01_s.jpg)

… More rock and dirt needed

(http:///P1/Thusis12_s.jpg)

It’s all coming along. The first PT-ply sheets are installed. That retaining wall will make a handy bench to sit on while waiting for the next clearance out of Thusis. :wink: :smiley: PS if umbrellas are needed will be decided much later.

You’ve been busy HJ. What with killing weeds, hauling BFR’s and moving dirt in this heat. I’m sweating already. It’s coming along great. I’ve been spending too much time ‘parked’ next to the beer fridge on the shady deck. :smiley:

Yes Randy :slight_smile: :wink: And someday soon I hope to get around to building more ladder road bed and laying track. First I’ll map out the main track through Bergün to just lay a temp track.

Beer fridge on the deck? WOW, now that is real convenience!

It’s back to the “essentials” after two weeks of entertaining people from Switzerland.
Stuff to be ordered and then it is full steam ahead … again.

SWMBO is off on a ten day holiday in Nova Scotia; perfect occasion to get more rock and gravel.

(http:///P1/LoadOfRock06_s.jpg)

Placed a few of the larger ones to get that ridge done

(http:///P1/Crestota01_s.jpg)

and it was also time to start with the PVC tubing

(http:///P1/Berguen01_s.jpg)

Perfect time and weather to get stuff done. 23ºC, brilliant sunshine and … from what I heard/read it is raining BIG TIME out on the East Coast. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

looks good hans. I seem to get more work done outside around this time of year too. A little cooler temp to work with.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Perfect time and weather to get stuff done. 23ºC, brilliant sunshine and ....... from what I heard/read it is raining BIG TIME out on the East Coast. :O :O
Ya, the leftovers from Hurricane Ivan, or Igor, or whatever it was ... 'twas a nice day today, but I was stuck in the mausoleum ... oops, the office ... and it's supposed to rain all weekend ... I like your rockwork, HJ ... my back twinges just thinking about it ;)

Chris, :wink:

The other way to look at all that rock and stone: I never had a gym subscription, I get enough of a work out as it is.

Looks good HJ. I think you need bigger rocks :slight_smile:

Thanks Shawn,

On the size of the rocks; the guy who delivered mentioned that some of them were handpicked (handpicked hand rocks :O) since the boss man mentioned they couldn’t be larger than what a 65+ guy could lift. We had a good chuckle about that. Years ago there were a few in the first load that were plenty big for hand rocks. Then it was “support and sling” time to get them in position.

Update on the weather: possibility of frost tonight - I picked tomatoes in the rain. Rain, wind and just 17ºC as the momentary high (BRRRRRRR). With all that what could make it reasonably acceptable? Knowing that SWMBO is on hoilday in Truro NS where today there was just one way out of town, all other exits were flooded. (Whoow!).
When I mentioned the cool temp SWMBO said: At least you won’t get heat stroke. Hmmmmm? :confused:

Around here, or so I am told by a highly unreliable source, there are:
a. skull rocks (about the size of a human skull and pretty much what a geezer like JB can handle by hisself)

b. man sized rocks, (what a fit landscape contractor can handle by himself, and that is not any of us… :P)

c. 2 man rocks, (what 2 fit landscape contractors can handle)

I notice there is nothing for a man and a boy, which is how I learned at my daddies knee, and how I taught my son. I guess that OSHA killed that size. :slight_smile:

I am impressed at what you have accomplished, HJ. Good on ye!

Steve Featherkile said:
Around here, or so I am told by a highly unreliable source, there are: a. skull rocks (about the size of a human skull and pretty much what a geezer like JB can handle by hisself)
Around here, those d*mn things hide at shovel depth, and I swear I hear 'em chuckle when I have to lever them out of the ground ... I should be modelling the Rock Island line

HJ;

The way i look at temps when I’m out landscaping 'round the RBR, etc. is ya can always layer up when cool but heat kills as ya can only strip down so much !

Are your pics with the shade a.m. or p.m. when the temps are really getting high !?

Oh btw your ridge shot I thought, . . . . turtle skeleton :slight_smile:

doug c

p.s this region has another bit of snow cover luckily blew out the turnouts of crud so if time hope to get the 'plow special out to expose the railheads again due to the afterdark snowfall, but hopefully they did not a touch up with the 1000 grit …

The shots are at any time of the day when the light is acceptable. :wink: :slight_smile:

I’m still sitting here with 3 yards of crusher chips (in the driveway) that need to be placed, got some of that moved this morning, but now it’s raining … again. Got the water features switched to winter operation including cleaning and storing the filters etc. Finish my coffee and get reading the paper, pi… on the weather!

Now HJ don’t get all mad, it is coming up on winter. Me, I work between the rain storms= need to rebuild some elevated section of track.

Paul

All the chips are either placed or in “temporary storage” but it still rains. :frowning: :frowning: