Large Scale Central

PIKO D&RGW caboose 38814

Hi Guys:

Has anyone bought the PIKO D&RGW caboose and what are your thoughts?
Are the end railings metal? Is there any interior detail?
Size compatible with 1:24 scale C-16 ?

Thank you
Norman

I’ve got the one that comes in the starter set. It’s been a while since I’ve had it out of the box, but it’s 1:24, and would be compatible with the C-16. I’m pretty certain the end railings are plastic, and there’s no interior detail. It is pretty robust, though. I came downstairs once ot find my then 7-year-old niece riding on it.

Later,

K

Norman,
unless Piko upgraded the trucks (Roundhouse MDC), then the original design was flawed and would collapse without warning. As Kevin states, 1/24 scale and plastic endrails. A very nice caboose and unlike other manufacturers, it seems to mimic the prototype well. The Roundhouse version was ABS plastic. I would be keen to know what plastic Piko have used.

The trucks–thankfully–have been upgraded (see reference to the aforementioned 7-year-old). That was one thing I looked at when I did the review, having had a bunch of the MDC trucks disintigrate on other equipment. I no longer have any MDC trucks to compare, so I don’t know if they beefed up the bolsters, or are just using higher-quality plastic.

Later,

K

Norman;

The railings are plastic, and probably not that flexible, unless Piko use different material than MDC. I still have the MDC railings “detail kit” that I bought a number of years ago. I plan to add them to an HLW bobber, but it is a “someday” project.

Yours,
David Meashey