Large Scale Central

Plants for our GR

This is mostly directed at Kevin S. but others chime in as well. I’ve enjoyed watching Kevin’s videos of his RR and am always amazed by his plantings. I live in a Zone 4-5 and I think where Kevin lives is probably similar. Some suggestions for planting other than the usual thymes etc. I am now at a stage where I am beginning to add some greenery to my layout. Thx.

Randy I think the key is to not be afraid to plant too many plants. Looks like Kevin uses bushier type plants (shut up Rooster) and keeps everything close together and close to the track. I know he tries to get the lush look of PA and does it very well. I forget what GR article had his RR but it gives his plants list. Thats the one thing I learned the more plants the better. If you look at the East coast the forest are thick with trees, grasses and shrubs.

I try to use native plants. Usually transplant them from elsewhere on the property.
I’ve used a lot of moss and Eastern Red Cedars.
Most of the flowers are wild flowers that spring up on their own.
Junipers come in many varieties. They can be easily “trained”.
Ralph

Slap your skirt on and get planting Randy! We want pics!
:wink:
(How was that Shawn)?

Boxwood Basil makes a nice “tree” (they get about the size of a basketball) - up side, it tastes good in sauces and dressings, downside they are pretty much an annual in northern climes.

If you can find true miniature roses (not mini rose branches grafted on tea rose roots!) they stay about 6-8" tall with small leaves. If you get the grafted ones, next year you’ll have 2’+ tea rose shrubs. I also like Mexican Heather (purple, pink or white) for a space filler, it should be OK in your area, it blooms early and for months if you remove the spent flowers. They get about 9" tall and about 15" across.

Stay away from Vinca, it tries to take over everything, and then spreads underground to pop up in other inconvenient places.

Kim plants her herbs in my garden, low growing curly parsley makes an OK 'grove" too.

very nice and informative posts,thanks for sharing,i like this forum very much…

We have some Thyme leafed Speedwell that works great. I think we got it from High Country Gardens catalog.

I use Dave Goodsen’s approach.

I concentrate on those plants that thrive (survive) on my RR. Anything else, I ignore.

How do I know which plants will survive(thrive)??? I try one or three examples of each out and see what happens.

There are lots of examples out there, and most are free, just go into the woods or the nearest vacant lot. Or, get cuttings from fellow garden railroaders, even if they don’t have a railroad, yet.

Hi Randy,

Ground cover that grows/spreads very quickly: white creeping thyme (very low).

We “inherited” a lot of Snow in Summer (Cerastium Tomentosum) groundcover from the previous owner. It grows like crazy and needs to be kept in check.

All good advice from these guys. Along with creeping thyme, definitely try tiny sedum acre (gold dust) for an excellent low maintenance ground cover near the tracks. It’s a big favourite of mine. Avoid Sedum Reflexum - it will overrun everything else!

I dunno - I kind of like the Sedum Reflexum. Put some in last year in places where it really has no where else to go (like rock crevices) and it’s doing great. You are talking about this stuff, right? I didn’t buy it - a neighbor gave me some he pulled up.

[ Sorry about the huge pic. Not mine - I just Googled it. ]

(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/Sedum_Reflexum.JPG)

Yup. That’s the stuff. I liked it too.