Large Scale Central

New Shop coming together

Since I have pretty much abandoned MLS I guess I should get some posts going with my progress of my new shop. A ligglt backround somehow I had fitted everything into a 10x10 shed until I moved. Now there seems to be no room with a 11x22 garage. Hmm. Where did it all come from? I made a larger workbench where I casn sit and work. Plenty of shelving and some art finally got to be hung on the wall.

I guess some part of the space being smaller is I had a Atlas 6" lathe that I recently sold. Then I brought over my 9" South bend Model A that had been stored in my friends garage. Not 2 weeks after moving it in the new house we just bought I found a Southbend Heavy 10 that was 2 miles from my house. So a deposit and the 9" went for sale. That was sold and not the 10" is home. I bought a VFD to run it as its a factory 230v 3 phase. So not I have a variable speed 10". It came witha bunch of goodies and I already had a 5C colet set for a indexer I have for the mill. I like the under hung motor much better. There is also a powered die filer to the left that seemed to follow me home that day too. Along with a 12" Diarco shear.

I also took delivery finally of my modeling chop saw. It was built by a guy in Canada. Thoughe does not ship and these had to be transferred through many friends hands to come to NJ. There were 2 others that went to friends also. It takes any Jewelers saws up to 2.5" - 3" with a 1/2" arbor. Need to make some covers and mount on a proper base not the shipping board. Its a perfect companion to my 4" Burns tablesaw. Both are a pleasure to work with.

My mill is a Clausing 8520 that is still sitting on the floor in 4 pcs from moving. Its getting closer to being a working shop in just 2 months from the closing. If it wasnt for all the interior work I’d be up and running. The last photo is my large workbenchj that houses most of the tools and will be my standing bench. Or a place to dump everything.

Now to get back on some of my projects. Too many really from engines to cars and now to having to build a layout in the yard too.

Wow, I really like that mini chop saw. Very nice. And great job on the work area. The plug strip is key to a good workshop!

Nice…I could be dangerous with some of them tools!
BTW…welcome Jason
:slight_smile:

Jason
I see it is coming together nicely. I like the file machine and chop saw and they are on my long list of things to get built.
What is that thing that has a stove pipe coming out of it???

Rodney Edington said:
What is that thing that has a stove pipe coming out of it???
Please don't tell me Jason figured out how to melt down unubtanium and it still retains it's patina and strength?

Jay,
You coming to ECLST?
Noel

Its my heat duct from the furnace trunkline. The furnace was just replaced before I bought the house and oddly enough its 25,000btu larger than it needs to be so I tapped into for a little heat in the garage. With all the insulation it has not gune under 50 this winter. I also have a 220v heater mounted from the ceiling that is aux heat if I need it.

Noel I will be there Sat.

Great looking shop Jason. Welcome to the better site.

Chuck

Nice workshop Jay. Give me a shout when you want to come up this way and run some trains.

Welcome Aboard! Jason.

Awesome looking shop Jason. You are sure a wheeler dealer in lathes! I hope it does not stay that clean, mine is a mess.