Large Scale Central

Cordless Screwdriver

Anyone have a suggestion about a good cordless screwdriver.

Desired features:

1. Lithium ion battery pack
  2. Variable clutch
  3. Variable speed
  4. Articulated joint (optional)

Thanks,
Jerry

This Sears model looks like a good one:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00931867000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Ive never seen a screwdriver with a cord…

But withthat being said, there was a nice unit I saw on sale at HD a few weeks back for something like $29…a Ryobi lime green one part of their LI powered line…going to pick up one myself soon as the Holiday nonsense is overwith…

Bart Salmons said:
Ive never seen a screwdriver with a cord.......

I have…used to make up screw driver ends for my electric drill, before they had the battery operated types…:wink:

MY cordless screwdiver had a nice black wooden handle and a good strong blade. What do you need the cord for?

I looked around the house, and to my dismay, we have cordless spoons and forks, even the knives are cordless, so are the brooms Coffee mugs are likewise cordless, as are all the cook-pans.

tac, ig & The Oswald West Park Boys

tac said:
MY cordless screwdiver had a nice black wooden handle and a good strong blade. What do you need the cord for?

I looked around the house, and to my dismay, we have cordless spoons and forks, even the knives are cordless, so are the brooms Coffee mugs are likewise cordless, as are all the cook-pans.

tac, ig & The Oswald West Park Boys

sounds like you need to move up to the 22nd century tac. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

I have an electric hammer. Plug it’s cord into the electric faucet, lift it up, and it drops down on the nail by itself! Great invention.

All kidding aside, it depends on what you want to use it for. A 4 volt battery is not going to do much for you. It will be hard pressed even to do simple jobs around the house. I would recommend at least a 12 volt battery, and really, if you are going to be using it much outside, especially for building track roadbed, I would get an 18 volt battery.

Unless you are a pro, using the thing every day, don’t waste your money on lithium. NiCad is fine. Home Depot has a great Ryobi 18 volt drill/screwdriver, two batteries and a 5 1/2 inch circular saw for 49.90. At that price, you are practically stealing the thing. I have the same kit and love it.

Back in the day when I worked at a hobby shop as the “R/C car guy” I would be assembling cars adn truck for customers from this time of year until mid January and then again in the spring. Best christmas present I EVER got while doig that was an old Black & Decker cordless screwdriver. Only a 2 or three cell pack built into the handle and a dedicated charging cradle but that thing would keep going, until the batteries failed. Most of the standard RC car kits went together with self tapping screws with philips heads on them. My wrist would ache for days before I got one and felt much better afterwards. Since I do not work there any longer and do not assemble 100’s of kits like that I’ve no need for one anymore and find that the 18 volt Ryobi cordless drill does most anything I need now. I found like Steve F that the basic kitfrom Homeless Despot is a good deal when 2 batteries cost $60.

Chas

When da boss bought me my first B&D 3-volt screwdriver for Christmas, I was not impressed. But it turned out to be one the handiest tools I’ve ever had. It’s light enough to slip in a jean pocket and you can change a bit with messing with a chuck. The battery went on the first one after a good number of years.

The second didn’t come with the charging cradle. You have to plug a jack in a socket on the side. But it cost less. Unfortunately it only lasted a few months because I forgot to turn it back from the manual locked setting one day and mushed the gears. I kept it in case I have to replace the battery or parts in the new one.

The latest only cost about $12, has a 23 position clutch, and folds in the center so you can get in tight spots.

I used all three to remove screws from large scale models. But I use a manual screwdriver to replace the screws so they don’t get cross threaded or stripped.