Large Scale Central

AMS D&RGW "short" caboose

Again, saw a price I could not pass up…I think this color scheme is a “love or hate” thing for many. I liked it, and it’s growing on me more towards “love it”. The graphics are crisp and sharp, the paint is perfect and solid (not a translucent shell). Detail level is fantastic (note: There are brackets on both ends of the caboose for the lanterns!).

The BIG issue here is rolling resistance. Out of the box and on the track this car sounded like someone was dragging one cinder block across another! More drag than a RuPaul Halloween party. No amount of EZ-Lube made it better. I resorted to removing the brass contact strips. Once removed and with the bushings oiled she rolls like a champ! Of course there are no interior or lantern lights anymore! Even before I removed the wipers I thought the lights appeared dim. It took a fair amount of power to get them bright enough to be noticeable, and by then the engine was screaming along. I may need to break down and light this one with a NiCad. An irritating issue is the coupler lift bar…It’s too short! Here it is on an 8’ dia curve…Note how it pulls out of the coupler. When it straightens out it interferes with the coupler and “pops” up. I will need to fix this into a position where it is out of the way. I have not run this on anything but my indoor layout so I do not know how it will react on 9 or 10 ft dia. track.

Bachmann uses a similar arrangement but has plenty of length to avoid this issue. All in all I like this one, it looks great at the end of a short consist behind my modified Annie. Like all AMS it is not the most free wheeling but once lubed it rolls well enough. The interior is somewhat spartan so lighting won’t show much anyway. Still I want my lanterns lit!

Mark,
I have that model as well.
Before I bought it, I researched the color scheme and it
was painted that color for a short time for the making of a movie.
So it is authentic.
I removed the sliders as well, and I don’t use Accu knuckles, so the bar
just rests on top of the coupler.

John, so do you have any interior lighting? What couplers are you using?

I have not had a chance to tear this one down but I’m thinking of an internal batt pack and a switch/charge jack on the bottom. I have dozens of battery packs sitting on shelves from my R/C hobby just looking for a purpose.

Why not convert it to a chain hooked to the lift pin. I can understand your problem with that bar and the swing of the coupler. Was that a prototype detail? I have to admit I’ve never seen a setup like that in real life.

Not the best picture, but the EBT used a similar style coupler lift bar…

(http://www.totalracing.com/ebt/large/ebt3-02a.jpg)

Mark V said:
John, so do you have any interior lighting? What couplers are you using?

I have not had a chance to tear this one down but I’m thinking of an internal batt pack and a switch/charge jack on the bottom. I have dozens of battery packs sitting on shelves from my R/C hobby just looking for a purpose.

I removed the sliders and stuffed the wires up inside for future battery lighting.
I use KD knuckles in Accu gear boxes. It easier for me to uncouple using a screwdriver.
I just prefer KD’s over Accu’s.

John Bouck said:
Mark, ....it was painted that color for a short time for the making of a movie.
Movie is:

Denver & Rio Grande (1951)

History and photos of 0579 can be found here:

D&RGW Caboose 0579

My guess is using the LGB ball bearing wheels with electrical pick-up would be too large for this scale unit.
Accurate?
Wendell

The LGB BB wheelsets axle ends are too small. You’d have to rebush the truck to fit them.
Accucraft makes bb wheels sets with pick-ups to fit this.

Mark, if you’ve got a copy of the December GR, you’ll see a photo of how I added lights to the interior of mine. I just put a 7.4v. Li-Ion pack in one of the “closets” or whatever you want to call them, and a switch and charging jack (actually a 9-volt battery connector) on the floor. Inside, I have two LEDs poked through the wall of the same “closet” thingie, looking akin to a lantern hung on the wall. That, and two LEDs in the marker lights (Tomar, with the original bulbs removed and replaced with LEDs.) I did this conversion in September of 2010. I’ve run that caboose frequently at night with the lights on. I’ve yet to have to charge the battery.

Later,

K

Kevin, I have indeed considered that option and may do just that. As I run mostly Aristo TE now I have the track power on “full”, I just hate giving up that “free” constant lighting. The LED/Batt set-up may be the answer.

John, I was not aware those fit the caboose. Have you used them? I emailed AMS and asked if the fit the passenger cars and got no answer. Tried calling but no one was home. Time to try again.

“John, I was not aware those fit the caboose. Have you used them? I emailed AMS and asked if the fit the passenger cars and got no answer. Tried calling but no one was home. Time to try again.”

Mark,

I have no idea what the LGB BB wheelsets cost, but AMS/Accucraft make BB wheelsets that have the brass goodie on one wheel to pick-up power from the track, for your lights. The only problem is that they are pricey @ $32/2 axle’s from AMS! I KNOW that one dealer has them for $24/2 axle’s or $48 per car. The EXACT same wheel and profile that comes with the shorty caboose.

Yes they fit the coaches as well.
Still cheaper than a set of LGB BB"s.

You will need a 2.2 MM nutdriver, as well as a 3 MM.
I have found only one mfg that makes a 2.2–Moody tools.

Gary…Who’s got 'em for $24.00/pr.?

I’d be sure to pick up enough to conver my fleet at that price.

Mark V said:
Gary...Who's got 'em for $24.00/pr.?

I’d be sure to pick up enough to conver my fleet at that price.

Jonathan Bliese shows them on his website at $23.99 for 2 (TWO) axles, one truck. $47.98 per car (two tucks). Here’s a link to his site.

http://www.rctrains.com/trackaccessories.htm

Let me know if you have a problem with this link.

Thanks!

Mark
I run track power myself but on the stuff that I have made I illuminate with a 9v battery and a toggle switch as Kevin stated with the exception it’s not rechargeable as for the amount of run time you will use the lighting the LEDS on that 9v will last a very long time IMO. I started to add track pick ups to my Superliners and quit on the first car as it was more trouble than what it was worth.

Wonderful post. I would definitely try to incorporate the tips you have shared. I would be glad if you could refer me some more stuff of niche.

Ball bearings with the electrical pick-ups integrated into the wheel (ala LGB style) – is a good deal at $24 a pair.
My use of the LGB wheels is two axles per car for minimal flicker at the least cost. HOWEVER, space the axles so there is one per truck. This gives you the max space on the track to avoid continuity problems from dirty track. Sure, all four acxles is great – adding nearly $25 to the car cost.
Wendell