Large Scale Central

Review: MRC 10 amp pw. supply

With the third year of use coming up, I strongly recommend the MRC 10 amp power supply. This is the one consistently advertised for $150.00-175.00. Looking LIONEL-like in design, this squarish pack comes with its own fan, large speed control handle, directional switch, and on/off light. I added an in-line 4 amp fuse holder to supplement the pack’s breaker system. In short, plenty of relaiable power at a good price. The unit has been problem free.
Wendell

I run 3 sd45 on one with no problems.

Really like mine as well. They allowed me to finally retire my 1955 175W American Flyer transformer (with a rectifier added on the output side for each throttle). I still have the American Flyer transformer for back-up, but don’t think I will need it.

Yours,
David Meashey

I love the feel of these. They look great too! I’ve been using MRC6200’s for my indoor layout while my 10-amp’ers just sit idle waiting for the outdoor layouts completion. I have chosen these in conjunction with the new Revo units to run the outdoor loops (3).

Mark V
Would you report more on the Revo units – I’m not familar with the product-- that may be used for reverse loops?
Wendell

Wendell,

These are good packs, We use them at our shows and never had any issues with them along with Bridgewerks packs.

Nick

Sorry Wendell…I was speaking of the new 2.4 Ghz Train Engineer from Aristo. I see it called out in print sometimes as simply the “Revo”.

I will be using the MRC 10 amp packs as mentioned above powering a base station receiver. 2 loops will use the MRC’s and one loop will be powered by an LGB Jumbo.

Thke MRC 6200 didn’t have enough power to run the Aristo-Craft twin motor diesel for any length of time at our recent display in Misson Viejo, Southern Calif. My guess is those of you considering the MRC 10 AMP unit, will be very pleased.
It does have a fan built into the unit. The control arm is “so like” (ahhhh, our daughter talking) one of the old Lionel twin control arms on their “combat model” huge transformers. I have a control box for the unit with a 4 amp fuse receptical.
The bottom of the control box has a cutout to allow the air from the fan to move out of the box. Cost comparison with the Bridgeworks models is worth a check.
Wendell

I bought a few yrs back Senor Kramer to replace the PHobbies G unit which was expressing some signs of retirement still runs but the meter is corrupted ! But I haven’t yet unpacked the MRC to use Glad to hear with a add-on (for motor safety) 4amp fuse, so far reviews are good on the MRC unit !!