Large Scale Central

Table Saw or Band Saw

Let me begin by saying I’m a pretty competent carpenter. I can build just about anything you want. I have used both a Table Saw and Band Saw in the past but own neither. I need to cut up some redwood for making my wood tressle and plan to use a saw for making other wood pieces as needed.

What do you think is more useful a Band Saw or a Table Saw? I only really want to buy one or the other.

From a cabinet maker’s point of view, I would say tablesaw. With all the recomended safety precautions, you can do alot with a tablesaw. I.E. Cut scale lumber, cross-cut, cut down sheets to size, bevel, dadoe and a host of other things. IMHO an bandsaw has it’s merits as well but my go-to saw is mostly always the tablesaw. My 2 cents worth only.

Randy McDonald said:
From a cabinet maker's point of view, I would say tablesaw. With all the recomended safety precautions, you can do alot with a tablesaw. I.E. Cut scale lumber, cross-cut, cut down sheets to size, bevel, dadoe and a host of other things. IMHO an bandsaw has it's merits as well but my go-to saw is mostly always the tablesaw. My 2 cents worth only.
Go with this advice and you won't go wrong

I have both. I find the table saw easier to rip wood down on, although I know many do that with a band saw also. My favorite saw is my old Dremel table saw, use it ALL the time. Also a cheap chop saw with a 2" blade from Harbor Freight. Made a table for it(described in these forums) that made it easier to use. I do use the band saw quite a bit also.

A good table saw…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
A good table saw.............;)
Ya what he said! Sean

I find I use my band saw more than my table saw in cutting wood for this hobby.

Table, band and cut-off.
All on my “bucket list.”

Every bridge and building on my layout built with non-electric tools except a dremel.
Crazy? Yes.

I recently purchased a pinner and a brad gun. Still need the compressor.
I must have pounded in a million tiny nails. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Your doing something right John. I have all the tools, but you’ve built tons more than me :smiley:

I’d vote for the table saw too. Best tool I ever bought. I went with a middle grade Craftsmen 10". It would be nice to have a more accurate saw, but I use it a lot.

Yep, table saw. I’ve ripped redwood down to 1/2 " x 1/2" six foot strips for trestles and cribbing. The table saw was very precise and efficient.

Well that solves it pretty good. I agree with those that said get a better quality one.

I’ve been looking at a Bosch portable Table saw . It has a very solid slide fence, which I think is critical for the work I plan for it. It may not be one of those massive ones, but I dont have room in the workshop for that size saw and this one can fold down and be stored under a bench or something.

I’ve got a Bosch portable. Different model than the one you are looking at. It does a fine job.

The fence on ANY table saw is the critical part…huge long discussion on this in the now gone archives I think? Even a cheap table saw if the blade runs true & the table is flat can be made better with an upgraded fence. Make sure that the fence is someihtng you can work with before you purchase it. We had a small Sears go out of business several years ago and while they had a few good eals none of the portable contractor table saws were accurate enough for me. Mostly because the fences were simply guides that weren’t very accurate. My next table saw (If I ever get another) will be a Sawstop though. I also have a 12" compound Miter “chop saw” but have yet to get a band saw. IT is on my list of wants but so far I’ve managed without it.

Chas

If I had only one tool, it would be a band saw. Especially for scale work! Much safer than a table saw, IMHO. But I’ve got the best of all possible worlds – Shopsmith MkV with a bandsaw. Can cut big stuff and small stuff.

Recently made a bunch of rr ties by table sawing a fenceboard. But used the bandsaw to make curved roadbed.

Go with the group concensus. Can’t really go wrong, and if it doesn’t work out, you’ve got a lot of people to blame.

Jake Smith said:
... I only really want to buy one or the other.
Yep. That's just how the addiction starts, Jake. :) :) Shop tools are like potato chips...you can't stop with just one.

Either will do a fine job of cutting trestle stock. Personally, if I could only have one saw, it would be a good-quality band saw. But that’s just me.

Good luck.

Steve

Actually I did buy the Bosch portable table saw i linked to in my earlier post. It works very well. I used it to cut down some old redwood for my trestle. And I have to agree with the potato chips analagy. I found a Craftsman Band saw on closeout and bought it too. LOL guess I got both.

I have to say now that I have both and have used both to cut various pieces of lumber. The Table saw gives a much straighter cut. However I think the band saw works much better for times when I’m cutting very thin pieces of wood.

Jake,

A great read on the other site for band saw owners is the following:

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/8/aft/122767/afv/topic/Default.aspx

The earlier companion article is on cutting on a table saw.

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/aff/8/aft/119461/afv/topic/Default.aspx

I found both to be quite informative.

Bob C.

I have and use both. I cut my small lumber on the band saw, but I have to use the table saw to down size the lumber to a managable size. It is really hard to cut a 1" piece of wood on a band saw when making siding. But cut it down to 1/2" or 1/4" and we are getting somewhere. If you have access to someone elses table saw, then purchase a band saw. I have a Delta Shopmaster which sits on my workbench. Did not cost but $99 at Lowe’s, but for 12 years it has worked really well for cutting small pieces for my buildings.
Ron

I was searching “Favourite Tools” and discovered a wealth of information over the years, however in the near future I am looking to purchase either a sawstop table saw or a Laguna bandsaw as that’s what is available here.

Bob, I saw you purchased both yours second hand on another thread, and of course, the Great Schism has destroyed the links you provided.

And @David_Marconi_FOGCH
At the time you were unanimous in advising a table saw. Are you still?

I’d like to get something that has a good fence as @rmccown-admin I saw a thread where you felt the need to upgrade the fence.

I’m just wondering from a modelling perspective, if you all have any further advice/opinions, and what you use more.(band saw or table saw)

BILL… Table Saw…If you’re not going to be really serious into wood working… you can pick up a portable “Table Saw for < $200 that will do most all that you will need. You can even look for a used one, and then upgrade it to your liking… Even a small 8 1/4” would do most all that you would need for modeling.

Something like this would work well for your needs.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-13-Amp-8-1-4-in-Compact-Portable-Corded-Jobsite-Table-Saw-No-Stand-RTS08/309412837?MERCH=REC--rv_gm_pip_rr--307968261--309412837--N&image