Large Scale Central

The Budget Builder, part I - Aluminum Furnace Tape

With all the redneck jokes about duct tape, I almost hate to suggest this stuff, but…

Do you have a building or car that ‘glows’ due to light seeping through?

Do you want to add ‘seams’ to an otherwise plain sheet roof or wall?

Do you need to fill a gap with putty and need to back it with something so it doesn’t fall through?

Do you need ‘windows’, but don’t want to cut holes? Or don’t want anybody to be able to see the interior?

Do you need a model mirror?

Do you need ‘chrome’ trim?

Do you need harnesses for your horses?

Do you need a quick and easy moisture or insect barrier on the bottom of a wood model?

Do you need to conduct electricity but don’t have anywhere to hide the unsightly wires?

Do you need to hinge a small opening, but can’t attach a real one?

You can do all those things with furnace tape. It’s basically adhesive backed foil. You can cut it in strips or shapes with scissors as easily as paper, rub it with a round tool to emboss it to irregular surfaces. Bugs won’t eat it, light can’t penetrate it, if sealed down properly water won’t penetrate it. It’s polishable. paintable, tough yet summat flexible, heat resistant, and sticky on one side for easy mounting… and it’s cheap. - As in the neighborhood of $8 for a 75 foot roll. You just cut it to size/shape, peel the backing, stick, then burnish it in place to get any wrinkles out. The only major drawback is sometimes it’s a bit TOO sticky should you decide you need to remove it in one piece to reposition it.

The Micheal’s Stores in the Dallas, TX now carry 8 X 10 sheets of colored and patterned duck tape. I’ve got a silver one to cover a cylinder to make a tank.

Roger
Caddo Mills, TX

8 x 10 sheets? I bet that is hard to lay without wrinkles?

Ric - It might be more like vinyl than the reinforced duct tape. I’ve got guys who can lay down an 4 foot by 10 foot sheet of vinyl with very little imperfections. They’ve had a lot of practice though :slight_smile:

Jon Radder said:
Ric - It might be more like vinyl than the reinforced duct tape. I've got guys who can lay down an 4 foot by 10 foot sheet of vinyl with very little imperfections. They've had a lot of practice though :)
I note the plural of "Guys". I'd hate to try it as one person, but I'm sure it is done. We have trouble with 3 foot graphics. ;-)

8X18 sheets? That’s right your in Texas, they do everything big in Texas. Here in PA we only do 2X4 sheets.:slight_smile:

Roger Houser said:
The Micheal's Stores in the Dallas, TX now carry 8 X 10 sheets of colored and patterned duck tape. I've got a silver one to cover a cylinder to make a tank.

Roger
Caddo Mills, TX

8X10 inches

I have been under the impression that you can position this stuff on a pre-wetted non absorbant surface , slide it around, then flatten and squeegee the water from under it and out around the perimeter. No dice?

FWIW I remember positioning fake stained glass Mactac on a window this way back in my hippydippy days. Groovy.

I use the 2" Nashua brand rolls on my locos/cars. Has adhesive backing, you can emboss it how you want, then peel off the paper liner and it sticks on GOOD!

Jerry…like I need more bad ideas!!!