Large Scale Central

Sara thinks we are strange

because I sent Kim outside to my RAILROAD to get a couple things for our supper.

We tried to explain to the 10YO critic that there’s nothing like fresh basil and lemon thyme to make boring old chicken thighs special… She says “Stinky leaves? Yuck!”… Maybe someday she’ll learn. Or maybe she’ll be like her mother and only have garlic, minced onion, salt and chili powder in her spice rack…

Mik, I made the mistake of planting some chcolate mint. Tip: don’t do it in the railway. Grows VERY tall.

We have the ‘boxwood’ basil… A compact dwarf version that’s a little fragile but smells wonderful any time you brush against it and tastes fantastic. Plus we have the lemon thyme, and Kim is campaigning for some curly parsley

Our Woolly Thyme is doing very, very well… too bad you can’t cook with it.

Mik, how about any of the rosemarys? It’s real good on chicken as well and wouldn,t look bad in the RR too. It’s a perrenial but where I live it won’t overwinter.

Mik,
Now a days you are strange if you cook dinner at home, much less grow food or herbs :wink:
I was mowing today and munching Blackberries and Mulberries right off the plants while taking a break.
Ralph

I also love the wild scallions that grow here. (Ralph dont they call them something different your way and they have big festivals. I know the National parks are always busting people for cultivating them in the parks)?
Our Mullberries are just starting to get ripe. The thimble berries, wild rasberries and blackberries are not ready yet but soon. Cant wait. Oh and I forgot the low bush blueberries that grow on the ridge tops here are the best.

Shawn said:
I also love the wild scallions that grow here. (Ralph dont they call them something different your way and they have big festivals. I know the National parks are always busting people for cultivating them in the parks)? .

Our Mullberries are just starting to get ripe. The thimble berries, wild rasberries and blackberries are not ready yet but soon. Cant wait. Oh and I forgot the low bush blueberries that grow on the ridge tops here are the best.

Ramps are wild Leeks. Same family as Scallions and Onions.
I’ve got at least a dozen Blueberry bushes. They are really loaded down this year. Blackberries too.
I also have a bunch of wild Blackberries. But other than a snack now and then when I’m in the woods, the animals get them.
Ralph

Mik said:
We have the 'boxwood' basil... A compact dwarf version that's a little fragile but smells wonderful any time you brush against it and tastes fantastic. Plus we have the lemon thyme, and Kim is campaigning for some curly parsley

Our Woolly Thyme is doing very, very well… too bad you can’t cook with it.

I forget which Thymes I have, but they don’t like this 95+ for over two week weather that TN is having. Worst winter in years, worst rain since the 1790s, and now a VERY hot summer?

I am really holding off until all the infastructure is complete before too much scenic work.

…rosemary. Got a trash bag full of the stuff from a friend once. Stuffed and coated turkeys and chickens both in the stove and smoker (mixed with butter and some whiskey) full of the stuff. Quite good!

Yep!

We’re not?