Large Scale Central

Good deal at the Homely Depot

Even though I do my best to stay far away from retail stores on this day, I needed some light bulbs and refuse to pay grocery store prices - so we took a ride to Home Depot.

While we were there I took a look at the tool section because I need an additional 18V battery for my Ryobi One Plus tools (and trains :slight_smile: ). I decided the two-pack was more than I wanted to spend at $69, and it seemed silly to spend $39 for a single, so I turned to leave when I noticed a Special Package 18V Drill, Charger and One+ battery for the price of just the battery - $39.95 !!

Since the Ryobi drill that I have is starting to show some wear from the abuse I give it, I decided to take one for a spare.

They only had about six left when I took mine, so chances are this will sell out today or tomorrow.

As tools go, Ryobi isn’t near the top of the quality list, but I have quite a few of them and for what I use them for, they are a good value.

Jon, I have been looking at those, are you using the regular capacity, or the extended ones?

Have you had any battery in service for a year yet? Wondering how long they will last.

What’s your experiences so far?

Regards, Greg

I used to buy Ryobi tools for the job site. Guys would use them and abuse them. If they were still in operation at the end of the job, I was ahead of the game. We still had our share of high end tools that we kept with us, but it wouldn’t hurt too much when a Ryobi tool went to tool heaven, or wherever it is that they go when they can’t go any more.

Greg Elmassian said:
Jon, I have been looking at those, are you using the regular capacity, or the extended ones?

Have you had any battery in service for a year yet? Wondering how long they will last.

What’s your experiences so far?

Regards, Greg

Greg -

I had three of the regular 18V ONE+ batteries in service before I made this purchase. The other three are over 2 years old. With one exception, the batteries have performed well. I can’t really fault Ryobi for the exception - my teenage son was using the flashlight attachment outside in the snow and got the battery case pretty wet. I had one cell in that pack short out pretty much killing the pack. That’s the reason I was in the market for another battery.

Good feedback, I have a Milwaukee set and time for 2 more $80 batteries, and have been thinking of switching to li-ion set.

Thanks, Greg

There’s a Battery rebuilder in Ceres,CA
1(800)792-6333

Bill Wright said:
There's a Battery rebuilder in Ceres,CA 1(800)792-6333
Thanks Bill. I haven't shopped a lot of battery re-build shops, but the ones I have shopped to replace the Ryobi batteries are more expensive than a new single piece battery. Granted they might be made from better cells, but sometimes upgrading isn;'t an option.

Take a look at Cordless Rennovations, they rebuild your old packs and do stuff for large scale trains too!

http://www.cordlessrenovations.com/index.php?page=home-2

Got no investment in the company…just a happy customer!

Bart Salmons said:
Take a look at Cordless Rennovations, they rebuild your old packs and do stuff for large scale trains too!

http://www.cordlessrenovations.com/index.php?page=home-2

Got no investment in the company…just a happy customer!

I did look there before I went shopping for a new one. Their rebuild price is almost double what I can buy a new one for. No doubt they are using better parts with more cycles and probably more capacity, but in this case the price wins.

Last year my wife bought me a set of 12 v Ryobi tools. It came with a lantern than I use a lot because of my poor eyesight. The batteries just keep on ticking along with the tools.

Jon,

You said - “No doubt they are using better parts with more cycles and probably more capacity, but in this case the price wins.”

But, but - what about the environment? Think about all those little Chineese kids going hungry because you won’t conserve. Oh well, Merry Christmas.

Hey All,

I’ve been using the Ryobi 18 volt tools for years in my cabinet business with no problems. I have just about every tool they make and several drills. The battery’s are inexpensive and work great.

I also like the fact that you can buy the new Lithli-ion battery’s and they will work in any of the old 18 volt products. You don’t get that with the big name companies.

Chuck