Large Scale Central

Dremel Tool Problems

I seem to go through a lot of Dremel Tools. By Dremel Tool, I’m actually talking about any rotary tool of this style, not just spedcifically Dremel. However, that seems to be the one I have used the most. I just sent one of my spares in for repair, yesterday. For cutting rail, I use a cutting wheel on a flexible shaft. This seems to put a high strain on the tool and burns them out. However, it is the easiest way to cut track in position and to create the sections I need.

Suggestions or thoughts. Thank you in advance for your comments and thoughts.

bigger tool?..

Hmm… Perhaps stick with Dremel? A dremel guy told me a few years ago that parts are still available for mine, and it’s 35 years old.

I’ve used a standard side or angle grinder with a diamond blade in it. Menards has a cheap line of them that were about $8. They cut very nicely. No worries about burning them out!

If you don’t have to cut it outside, you might try this cut off saw from Harbor Freight:

(http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/42300-42399/42307.gif)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42307 I use the CUT-OFF WHEELS (2 " DIA., 10mm HOLE; PKG. OF 3) from MicroMark (Item 15219). For outside, I use a Dremel Stylus with the “Dremel EZ406 1 1/2-Inch EZ Lock Rotary Tool Cut-Off Wheel & Mandrel Metal Cutting Starter Kit”

(http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51G2AZ3JK2L.SL500_AA280.jpg)

I use a Harbor Freight chop saw for cutting rail when it is not in place. I don not have trouble with battery powered rechargeable dremel style tools that I have used for 8 to 10 years. The problem seems to be with the 110 volt tools that I use with a flexible shaft for cutting rail in place, to fit turnouts to a location. There are not that many additions, anymore, so this is kind of a miute point. But the flex shaft certainly seems to put a load on the Dremel tool.

I have a Dremel I bought probably 13 years ago to cut the flooring skin out of a fiberglass boat I had visions of restoring [it went into a dumpster 2 summers ago]. Even with all that abuse it still works. The variable speed control is all wonkered, but if you can find a position to make it go it works :slight_smile: I don’t have the flexible shaft - that’s probably the difference.

Ric Golding said:
I use a Harbor Freight chop saw for cutting rail when it is not in place. I don not have trouble with battery powered rechargeable dremel style tools that I have used for 8 to 10 years. The problem seems to be with the 110 volt tools that I use with a flexible shaft for cutting rail in place, to fit turnouts to a location. There are not that many additions, anymore, so this is kind of a miute point. But the flex shaft certainly seems to put a load on the Dremel tool.
I've noticed that, too, with the flex shaft. If it gets bent at too much of an angle it really slows the motor down. At one point it's even pulled the shank out of the collet and stopped. I try to keep the shaft as straight as possible.
Jon Radder said:
I have a Dremel I bought probably 13 years ago to cut the flooring skin out of a fiberglass boat I had visions of restoring [it went into a dumpster 2 summers ago].
Must have been a big dumpster!

Ric,
Don’t have a 110 volt model but willing to bet as Ken and you stated it’s in the flexible shaft putting a heavy load on the motor.

David Russell said:
Jon Radder said:
I have a Dremel I bought probably 13 years ago to cut the flooring skin out of a fiberglass boat I had visions of restoring [it went into a dumpster 2 summers ago].
Must have been a big dumpster!
Sure was, and it was quite an ordeal to unload the boat from a trailer into the dumpster. A come-a-long would have been nice to have.