Large Scale Central

Proxxon 12 Volt Rotary System

As I read Mr. Golding’s post on Basic Tools, I found myself once again lamenting what seems, to me at least, to be a decline in the quality/utility of Dremel in recent years. As a result, I sprang for the above-mentioned Proxxon 12 volt transformer and handpiece, and have used it extensively over the last few weeks. I have become a real fan of this setup. For about $85 I think it is a good step upward in terms of precision, comfort, and control without dropping giant bucks on the fine Foredom, Ram, or other dental quality machines. I also bought the drill press that fits the handpiece, and can testify that it is GREATLY superior to the Dremel press. I also popped for the inexpensive keyless chuck for the rotary, and find it quite handy when crazily changing drill bits and burs as I ruin my AMS cars…
I should warn all of you that I stand accused of being in the fiscally viscous grip of a renegade photographer ( see “reviews”) who, as a result of this post, may now be suspected of promoting bogus root canals… I assure you I have no connection, etc., etc., etc
john

It’s too bad that MicroLux stopped production of their tools. I really like their mini-tools and got their belt sander, drill, and scroll saw. I do have the Proxxon, but haven’t used it much as I really like the Microlux drill.

However I did want the drill press stand and can’t find it. So, maybe I’ll go with the Proxxon stand. There’s a lot of times where my big drill press is just way too fast.

Well, Bruce, I can certainly recommend the Proxxon press to you… I wrote a quick review on Amazon which mentions the insanely dumb placement of the collet clamp handle, but other than that… Proxxon also has a 12 volt screwdriver/tapping handpiece for really slow rpm stuff, but I grieve the $85 price for such a luxury.
I’ll bet the Proxxon stand will/could be made to fit the Microlux.
Damn! I AM starting to sound like a Proxxon Schill!!

No problem John, I do have a Proxxon rotary; I just don’t use it much. I did order the stand based upon your recommendation; this will be real handy drilling styrene and soft metal castings.

I forget to mention the little vise that does NOT come with the press, in spite of the advertising pix-- not a bad 20 buck addition. Obviously, a lot of the stuff I’m recommending are things/companies I’ve “Discovered” since digging back into my train fetish. In that sclerotic vein, I’d like to hype two websites that are useful and entertaining: Small Parts, Inc., which is otherwise known as “Optivisorland”. During my hiatus, I built some 1/700 Napoleonic ships, and Small Parts blew me away. If you can’t see it with the unaugmented eye, they’ve got it–wire, tubing, fasteners, tools, and a zillion other neat things. How about a roll of .001 stainless steel wire?? What’s that in 1/20.3?? About 1/50 of an inch ??? I’m sure we could have fun with it if we could only FIND the damn stuff…
Also, try Christian Hummul and enter the bizzare world of wooden bird sculpture. These cats know their power carving/shaping stuff. I got a couple of Kutzall burs and used them to grind down the planks on an AMS high side gon and it looks great-- wood texture and all. Also check their ruby carvers and cutters— far superior to most diamond burs… I’m about to try some texturing on plastic with my new woodburning stuff and see what kind of wretched mess I can make…
john

Saw that. Bought that.

Used it for the first time today. It’s a VERY nice setup. The tool is a LOT sturdier than I would have expected.

(http://jbrr.com/Pics/Tools/IMG_7113.JPG)

I added a couple of options: - the vise mentioned earlier. It really helps to hold the parts being drilled. - 3 jaw chuck to replace the collet system - foot switch. It’s just an on/off switch, but I really like the control it gives me. I can lower the drill and make sure it’s right, and then just tap my foot to start drilling.

Uncle Bruce - Will you get me one of those for Christmas ???

I like that a lot.

Pretty good, eh, Bruce… And not ALL that expensive. IF the twelve volt system, about $85 bucks for rotary and transformer, $55 for the press, and $20 for the vice. I think it’s well worth $150 odd---- I have used the rotary extremely hard this week, and no sign of trouble. Skeptics will note the infinitely goofy tool clamp handle, but easily fixed…
john

Especially since I already had the rotary and the transformer!