Large Scale Central

Need help

I noticed that my Thyme plants seem to die. Its not the whole plant just a section of it. It occures on both my Wooley Thyme and Creeping Thyme. It happened last year as well. Eventually it does regrow or spread back over. What causes this and is there a way to prevent this. Preferably not using chemiclas but if that is the only choice I will use it. Thanks

Also can anyone identify this. Its some sort of sedum. It is great hardy ground cover that grows localy. I dug it up to use on the RR it looks and works great.

Could be two issues with the woolly thyme - the dry winter we had or the super wet spring. It doesn’t like either condition much.
That’s Sedum acre aka golden acre sedum. Its quite robust like most sedums.

-Brian

Shawn, we use wooly thyme, elfin thyme, and some other thyme, whose’s name escapes me at the moment… We lost quite a few branches of it this winter, and spring, in some locations… Other locations are fluorushing … WE just thought it was the hard winter here… The main plant is coming back and it’s starting to recover itself…

Shawn said:
I noticed that my Thyme plants seem to die. Its not the whole plant just a section of it. It occures on both my Wooley Thyme and Creeping Thyme. It happened last year as well. Eventually it does regrow or spread back over. What causes this and is there a way to prevent this. Preferably not using chemiclas but if that is the only choice I will use it. Thanks
Shawn, that happens to me every time I use Round-Up. :D

I’m about as far away from an experienced gardener as you can get, but that looks like too much water to me. I lost two brand new perennials this spring because it was too wet.

Thanks guys. I had a feeling it might be from all the rainy, damp, cool weather we have been getting.

Steve _ I cant figure out why round-up would kill plants LOL

Round-up kills plants??? WOW… I thought round-up formed the plants in a circle, in case of attack by wild insects/critters… hmmmmmmmm :slight_smile:

to much water. Just clip off the dead and let it grow back. you should also do regular pruning of it. it will help it grow.

Andy Clarke said:
... I thought round-up formed the plants in a circle ...
Just so long as you don't find yourself inside a circle of Triffids ...

Get rid of that sedum, it will take over your whole railroad, it is a NASTY variety. I fight it all the time, gave up and let it grow in one area but yank it out all the time in the rest of the railroad. We had the same trouble with various types of thyme, bought locally. We ordered some from High Country Gardens catalog and it has done GREAT, pricey stuff, but it stays alive.