Large Scale Central

Vegetable garden

Anyone planting a vegetable garden this year? With the tough economy, the government estimates 40% more vegetable gardens will be planted this year. We plant a vegetable garden every year. Ralph We use this garden near the creek to “root” bushes, trees and other plants. Vegetables are planted in the remaining space.

We till around the wildflowers that spring up. The building is a 100+ year old smoke house. It was from an old home place about a mile away. We used a couple large logs as “skids” and drug it over. It still sits on the skids. We use the smokehouse to store gardening supplies and tools.

A view of a couple of the shorter peaks behind the house.

Ralph,

It sure looks like you live in a beautiful area.

Beautiful location!

Suzie always grew a vegetable garden. She was disappointed to have to buy vegetables in the store before they were ready in the garden. Actually, the garden wasn’t that big considering she kept the 4 of us quite well fed from it.

Thanks. It suits me here. Can’t get a pizza delivered though =(
But we have a large grocery store about two miles away.
The mountain had about 800 acres burning a few years ago.
Didn’t look so bad in the daytime. Mostly smoke.
At night, it looked like the whole mountain was on fire.

Nobody planting a garden?
You just can’t buy a tomato that can compare to one you grow.
Ralph

The railroad sits where the garden used to be.

They built a couple more grocery stores closer to home and with all the Amish produce stands around, I’ll let them do all the weeding and hoeing…:wink:

Ric Golding said:
I've seen the pictures. The RR sits where everything used to be ;) Ralph

"I’ve seen the pictures. The RR sits where everything used to be "

True, but think of all we are sacrificing for the good of man kind. The lawnmower runs less and does not produce as many noxious gases. I work less and my body temperature does not rise so high, therefore I am on a personal assault against global warming. That is when I am not hiding in the air conditioning. :wink:

Wife had her first harvest of snap peas, last week… I have turned her garden into a nursery of sorts… We get “bare root”" trees from the water conservation dept, and have been using part of her garden as a tree nursery… Trees spent one year in the nursery, and then get transplanted… We just transplanted our first batch, this spring, so we’ll see how they do this summer…

She has cucmbers, tomato’s, okra, peppers, eggplant, and zuchini, not to mention, a few herbs…

I have a rabbit buffie going. I get nothing and they are well feed.

Anyone know how to cook rabbit?

Geoff George said:
I have a rabbit buffie going. I get nothing and they are well feed.

Anyone know how to cook rabbit?

Best stew I ever had was from a fresh road kill rabbit.
The dogs are supposed to take care of the rabbit problem.
But my dogs are pretty fat and lazy from all the scraps my wife brings them from the restaurant where she works.
The other morning I went outside and found a skunk chowing down at the dog bowl. Dogs were about 10 feet away, sleeping.

We grow most of the common vegetables except for corn and cabbage. My father-in-law grows enough corn for everyone.
And the local produce stands have better mountain cabbage than I have been able to grow.
We also grow watermelon and cantaloupe.
A couple of years ago the strawberries played out and I need to start a new bed.

Blackberries and Blueberries are loaded this year. I guess all rain I’ve been bitching about has had some positive results.
Ralph

Ric Golding said:
Mine will be, as well!

But I may have to move her veggie garden, rather than bulldozing it under.

I keep telling her it’s the law of “Eminent Domain”. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

"I keep telling her it’s the law of “Eminent Domain”. "

How’s that working for you?

Ric Golding said:
"I keep telling her it's the law of "Eminent Domain". "

How’s that working for you?

Dunno about him, but I address SWMBO as “Your Eminence”.

Ok I give up. What does SWMBO stand for?

SWMBO= She Who Must Be Obeyed. …it’s from some British TV comedy…

Don’t have one of those, yet.

Just got the word tonight that Marilyn would like to put in a raised bed veggie garden in the back yard. Not sure that will get done in tiome for growing this year, but doable.

Jon a raised veggie garden is a good idea. Be sure to put a top cap on it than can be used to sit on… or run some track.

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sheepdog/MackSpring-1.jpg)

The cold Spring has us running about 10 days behind usual. Tomatoes just went into their pots last weekend. Hot peppers go into the raised bed this weekend. The green onions and herbs liked the cool Spring and taste great!

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/sheepdog/MackSpring-4.jpg)

Craig

“She who must be obeyed.” From “Rumpole of the Bailey”

Susan once got the boys a round kiddie pool. “Where should we put it?”

“Where do you want a round garden?”