Large Scale Central

My new figures!

Here are my first three attempts at making my own figures:

These will be passengers for my open-air excursion cars, which are not yet built. The two guys in the background are figures I bought from SLM, and painted myself. I’m not very happy with the paint job on these figures. On the lighter colors I had to put the paint on pretty thick, and some of the paints are too glossy. i was using some artist’s acrylics, some “Apple Barrel” craft acrylics, and “Patio Paint” exterior acrylics – basically whatever I had on hand. The Apple Barrel stuff is very flat, which I like, but I don’t know yet how well it holds up to UV exposure. I have some closeup shots of the individual figures here: http://www.raydunakin.com/Site/IRR-Figures.html#grid And here’s a figure that I’m still working on:

No head or hands yet, but (hopefully!) when it’s done it will look like me.

Nicely done Ray.

Good job! Thy need some cameras hanging around their necks…:wink:

they look great, Ray…

Wow…looks like you’ve mastered another technique. Nice work.

Really nice Ray. A Dullcote spray might help with the gloss.

Great job Ray as always, are you going to tell us how you make them, or have you already, or is it a well guarded secret??? The Regalhttp://

(www.lscdata.com/users/blueregal/_forumfiles/miscellaneous0032.gif)

Very nice work Ray but you better finish this guy soon before he get a very unfortunate nickname :lol: -

(http://www.raydunakin.com/IRRWebfiles/w7965_21.jpg)

-Brian

I learned a LOT from reading the “figure classes” put together by Chris Walas over on MLS:

http://www.mylargescale.com/Community/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/22/postid/7681/view/topic/Default.aspx

His style is a bit more caricature, but the techniques can be applied to any style. I’ve also picked up some tips from Richard K. on this forum, whose figures are very lifelike. That’s a look I’m still trying to achieve.

Really nice Ray.
You are a man of many talents.
Ralph

Today I decided that the torso of the headless figure was too long, so I cut it in half just above the shirt tails with a razor saw. Then I carefully sanded the two halves to remove about 1/16" of material and put him back together. Looks much better now. Still haven’t done the head/hands yet.

Brian, as for the “unfortunate nickname”, I’ve been called that a time or two myself so it wouldn’t be unprototypical. :smiley:

After seeing how my first three figures turned out, I knew I needed to work on getting my faces more lifelike – especially since my next figure is supposed to look like a real person (me). I spent much of the day today trying to get the head of my “self-portrait” figure just right, and I believe I’ve made great progress. I sculpted the head without hair, then baked it.

This evening I added the beard, and instantly I knew I was on the right track. With the beard and a bald head, it looks exactly like my Dad! I think after I finish this figure I’ll try making a silicone mold and cast a duplicate, then turn it into a figure of my Dad.

One problem I ran into when first sculpting this head, was that the head was becoming too big, and the neck was too long. I had to carve off quite of bit of clay and reshape the head to get it right. After baking it, I had to cut the head off, shorten the neck, and reattach the head. In the future I think I’ll sculpt the heads separately from the bodies.

In addition to shortening the torso, I also carved some material off the forearms, which were looking too thick. Now it looks much more accurate – this figure is going to be a big improvement over my first three.

Working from photos helps a lot. The first figures were just out of my imagination. For this one, I used three different photos of myself. One had the basic pose that I wanted, another was more recent, and then I had a good head shot for detailing the face. Of course, since it’s my own face I’m pretty familiar with it already. :slight_smile:

Now, it remains to be seen whether I’ll still be happy with it after I paint it. My first figures looked better to me before they were painted.

Finished the hair last night, added the hands this morning. It’s in the oven right now. This afternoon I’ll get a pic of the unpainted figure, then paint it and shoot some more pics.

Ray,
I’d pee all over myself and cry tears of joy for a week if I had made those first three figures.
Ralph

Ralph, you really need that warm feeling sometimes, don’t you? :slight_smile:

Ray, those figures are very nice!

Ralph Berg said:
Ray, I'd pee all over myself and cry tears of joy for a week if I had made those first three figures. Ralph
Ralph,

I’m sure that they have medicines for that.

Steve Featherkile said:
Ralph Berg said:
Ray, I'd pee all over myself and cry tears of joy for a week if I had made those first three figures. Ralph
Ralph,

I’m sure that they have medicines for that.

Lucky for me I’m not that talented :slight_smile:
Ray, on the other hand, does some nice work.
Ralph

Heheh!

I’m just my own worst critic when it comes to anything artistic.

Ray,
Very well done no matter what the attempt number is.

Later
Rick Marty

I finished the model of myself last night. It turned out extremely well – not perfect but way better than my previous figures. I’ll post pics as soon as I get the film finished off and developed.