Forums Modeling Modeling
  • Topic: McCown Freight

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • August 13, 2019 6:02 PM EDT
      • Burke, Virginia

• Thanks

Eleven years ago, and it looked a lot better back then.

This year, it seems to have deteriorated to the point of repair.

I talked to Ken about this when he visited and he was a lot smarter than me! (Not THAT hard).  

Anyway, I had planned to scrape the shingles off the roof and install new ones.  He suggested that perhaps I should get new acrylic and not bother trying to clean up the old roof.  The acrylic has been ordered and delivered, and the shingles just arrived, so perhaps it is time to fix this!  

I'm trying to figure out what to do different.  Maybe I'll treat the shingles, or maybe I'll just let it go for another 11 years...

Bruce

http://jbrr.com/

• August 13, 2019 7:15 PM EDT
      • Defending the State of Exile! ,

• Thanks

I personally think the station looks fine? Maybe the crews need to lay some fresh ballast to make it POP?  Many spend countless hours trying to weather stuff which you allowed mother nature to do ?

However this is only my opinion and I'm no expert on anything.

• August 13, 2019 8:01 PM EDT
      • Chaco, Paraguay

• Thanks

what Rooster said.

if it were mine, i would just replace the missing shingles, to give it an "old, but maintained" look.

My Chaosplace ->  

• August 15, 2019 6:29 PM EDT
      • Ormond Beach, Fl. 32174

• Thanks

I'm with Rooster, fix it and let it go, best weathers are "gods", 15 years painted green over the blue plastic, I get a lot of ? of how did you weather it, answer is left it out in the sun for 15 years, my "girl at the top of the stairs redo of "Johnson hardware" to hotel, very nice station model!!new hotel front" Bill

• August 15, 2019 10:00 PM EDT
      • Deer Park, Washington

• Thanks

I can't believe that I'm actually saying this, but I agree with Rooster.  Replace the missing shingles, and call it done.

Not only does my mind wander, sometimes it walks off completely.

Some people try to turn back their odometers.  Not me.  I want people to know why I look this way.  I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.  Will Rogers.

• August 18, 2019 10:59 AM EDT
      • Peoria, NW of Phoenix, Arizona

• Thanks

Well as others have said it actually looks better now, just adding a few shingles, and maybe touch up the window casing paint would make it fresh enough while still having that "weathered" look that we all have aquired

Butt Modeler #2

• August 18, 2019 2:05 PM EDT
      • Burke, Virginia

• Thanks

Well, I'm all for the "weathered" look - the last time I weathered anything intentionally was back when I was modeling HO, but, there comes a day when it's just time for a NEW roof.   The pictures don't show it nearly as bad as it looks in real life.    Even old, weathered structures get something new now and then, so I think I'll re-shingle the roof and just wait for it to weather again...

I DO appreciate all of the comments - there's a lot of work to re-doing this and it WOULD be so much easier to just leave it alone...

Bruce

http://jbrr.com/

Forums Modeling Modeling

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google