Large Scale Central

Impromptu OPs Session

The Lord can work in mysterious ways.

My Mother in Law passed away this last weekend, it was a blessing. She had suffered from Alzheimer’s for many years. Great numbers of people have been gathering at our house for the last number of days as family came in from both coasts. I was very good and pretty much put the trains on hold concentrating my energies toward my wife’s families needs, plus trying to be a proper host. After the funeral, yesterday, everyone gathered at the house for a meal as is the tradition in this part of the country. Things were well planned and going well, until the priest arrived. Not the normal parish leader, but a substitute because our parish priest also had a death in his family. I greeted Father Ben as he came up the drive way and then he noticed the railroad tracks. All attention to the grieving was put aside as he explained he was also a model railroader and could he see more of the railroad. Showed him front, back, side yard and basement. We came up and got something to eat, filled our plates and went out on the back patio for the meal. Since we were the last ones in the line for food, the grandkids were already finished and playing in the backyard. Young Luke interrupted our polite conversation with wanting to play trains. I got him a Bachmann coach, coal hooper and box car down from the shelves in Fiddle (his normal powerless consist that he pushes around the track using the coach as a doodlebug). Father Ben kept watching the trains more than eating and when done Grandson Luke, 4, had derailed and needed some help. He wanted a diesel to pull his train. I was just being polite. Fired up the 44 tonner and showed Father Ben how to work the RCS controls. We worked our way from Fiddle through Red Bud, Pin Oak, Seaweed Junction, Sweetwater and over to Beagle Junction dropping off a few cars. At Beagle Junction we realized that many of the guests were beginning to leave and Father Ben also must leave to go visit some people at the hospital. But we both decided we couldn’t just leave the train out on the line, so we spent the next hour turning our consist and working back to Fiddle. By the time we tied up our train, most of the older guests were gone. A quick polite good bye was in order and though my Father In Law, his brother and all the other distant older relatives were gone, we had entertained the grandkids for about 2 hours and allowed the family to handle all the necessary small talk.

Father Ben says he will be back for the OPs Session in November, but there may be a little conflict because of the dates conflicting with All Saints Day. He said he would be working on a way to keep his obligations from conflicting with the OPs Session. :wink:

An important part of the day, I’d say.

Snagged another one, I see…

Originally from Pickneyville were he was raised and an N scaler. He is now assigned to the church in Breeze. Young guy, he was easily distracted from his duties.

Ric Golding said:
Originally from Pickneyville were he was raised and an N scaler. He is now assigned to the church in Breeze. Young guy, he was easily distracted from his duties.
He's the one who came in on Monday evening and sat and spoke with Jan's dad for a while. right???

There’s just something about operating a train…

Chuckle! You need to introduce him to Fr. Fred!

Then again, if he’s a young bloke, you wouldn’t want to corrupt him . . . .

Dave Healy said:

He may never meet Friar Fred, but he is likely to meet Reverend Ralph next Spring, as a pilgrimage is being scheduled from the frozen north to the St. Louis area, where he went to Seminary. The itinary is being planned around our Spring OPs Session.

Oh the pressures of this social calendar, OPs Sessions, weddings, funerals, birthings and blood lettings all must be planned.

Ric…I wouldn’t wish one on anyone, but they happen; a divorce party can be made into a fun time for all, just as death can bring families together and be a wonderfull renewal for the future…
If we all try to see something positive, in a situations, life overall is not as bad as some make it out to be…may your mother in law, rest in peace. God bless her.

Dave Healy said:

If he’s young, he needs corrupting sooner, rather than later… :lol:

Thank you Fred. She left us, mentally, many years ago. Jan feels that she can talk to her easier, now.

Hi Ric - Sorry to hear of Jan and your loss. I understand what you mean about being a blessing. We have been there a few times in our family too. It’s great that you were able to make another friend and bring yet another into the hobby.

Tell Jan I offer my condolences to her and the rest of the family…