Large Scale Central

Stupid questions?

I could prolly look it up on the innernet, but…
Which one of these runs on ready made HO track?
On3 or On30?
What’s the difference?
jb

On30 and 6 scale inches!

So what track does On3 run on?

On3 gauge track. I think most is handlaid - http://www.handlaidtrack.com/on3.php

-Brian

jb

On3 is 3 ft narrow gauge (36 inches) mostly hand laid.

On30 is 30 inch narrow gauge and HO gauge closely represents 30 inch gauge in O scale. Peco makes a HO gauge narrow minded track with O scale ties spaced correctly for O scale. HO track will work in a pinch, but the ties are too small and too closely spaced.

So even the little guys (On30) are running on the wrong scale track, just like LGB!
For example: An On30 Mike. If it ran on HO track, the track would be 2.5’ instead of 3’.
Right?

John Bouck said:
So even the little guys (On30) are running on the wrong scale track, just like LGB! For example: An On30 Mike. If it ran on HO track, the track would be 2.5' instead of 3'. Right?
I don't think so!

The On30 track represents 30" (2.5feet). The proper scale would be 1:46.2; I guess you could call that the happy medium compromise between 1:45 and 1:48. :lol: :wink:

As long as the Mike isn’t lettered/painted for a 36" NG road and the scale is reasonably close … it would be closer than most of the LGB stuff.

Just as in goofy gauge there are some variations in scale or size. I run only logging stuff outside in the 1:20 goofy gauge using Gargraves track and inside I have 0n30 using HO track but again just logging stuff and there I use Model Power track with PECO switches… To me it just doesn’t matter as I have phun playing with the trains. I tend to think about the old days with the gauges or scale without much variance. Oh ! ya, I grew up with the MANY types of couplers like Mantua etc etc…and then along came Kadee, oh happy days…

In the name of phun, can you give me an amen ?

Cheers, the old fardt in Oregun

It would be much simpler to understand if both were labelled the same way.

Either 0n2½ & 0n3
or
0n30 & 0n36

I prefer the former.