Large Scale Central

Train #2 out of Green Springs (Lots of pictures)

Inspired by all the operations during the American Invasion, I decided to run my own operation today. My railroad is a bit different, of course. I model a much smaller railroad than the IPP&W. The J&B is really designed for single person operations, so there is no dispatcher. In my world, the the J&B runs 4 freight trains each day; two in the morning and two in the afternoon. Two trains in each direction. Since it is only me, I take time to do things that I might not consider doing when there are ten trains running at once. These include water stops and connecting the glad hands. All of my turnouts are controlled manually. Today, were running train #2: it’s a westbound freight out of Green Springs, headed for Jackson. Our switchlist looks like this: Depart Green Springs with J&B Hopper#10, Shell Tank car, J&B Boxcar #105, and Caboose #503. At Occoquan, drop off J&B Boxcar #105 at the mill, pick up J&B #110 from the mill, and Northland #3 from the interchange. At Jackson, I need to do a local move of EBT hopper #805 to the Miracle Chair company, and then pickup J&B box #121 from Matheson Textiles. All in all, it sounds like a pretty easy operation session! So, let’s take a look at the session: The locomotive starts on one of the service tracks and must first be turned.

Once turned, we stop for a water fill up.

We’re scheduled to take caboose #503 today. Unfortunately, #501 is just in front of it. So we back up the caboose track and pull both cabooses.

I’ll pull forward and then back up on my departure track, dropping off #503 to start building my train.

Of course, now I have to put caboose #501 back on the caboose track.

I need to get hopper #10, but it’s behind a flat car, so I pull both cars off of that yard track.

I drop the hopper off and couple to the caboose. The flat car goes back to the track it was on. I need the tank car and the boxcar on the next track, so I pull them off and couple them to the hopper. My train is complete and I leave the yard.

My first stop sounds easy. I’ve got to drop boxcar #105 at the mill. So, I break the train and back #103 up the siding to the mill.

The only wrinkle here is that I have to pick up the boxcar #110 at the mill, and the boxcar on the interchange siding.

So, I couple box #103 to #110, and pull forward to the interchange siding, where I drop #110. Now the mill siding is clear and I can drop box #105. I now can go back and get the two boxcars that I left on the siding.

I put the train back together and proceed up the steep grade, finally crossing the trestle before reaching the hill’s peak.

We head down the grade towards Jackson, and I start thinking about the next maneuver. The hopper is on a trailing point siding and it has to be moved to the facing point siding at Miracle Chair. I break the train and leave it on the main line. Fouling the main isn’t a problem on my layout. :smiley: The main does have a problem here: it’s on a steep grade. So, if I leave the cars here, they will roll away on their own. When I was out at Dave Goodson’s in April, he showed me how he dealt with the problem - he used a railroad spike to hold the train in place. I liked this idea, so I have a couple of spikes laying near the grades.

With just the locomotive, I back down the siding and pick up the hopper.

I couple the hopper to the front of the train and then I use the passing siding to run around behind the train.

Once behind, I first remember to remove the spike and then push the train forward.

I push it so that the hopper clears the siding that leads down to the Chair company.

I pull the train back and replace the spike, then run around to pick up the hopper. With the hopper coupled, I back down the siding towards Miracle Chair.

Unfortunately, there’s a boxcar at the Chair Company. I need to move it out of the way, before I can deliver my hopper full of coal.

I pull forward and pull the boxcar off the Chair Company siding.

Once I clear the switch, I pull forward and drop the boxcar, leaving the way clear to locate the hopper next to the Chair Company.

I go back and grab the boxcar and put it back on the Chair siding.

My last pickup is at Matheson Textiles. This one is easy - I just need to back up and couple to J&B boxcar #121.

I head up the siding and rejoin my train. Before leaving Jackson, I stop for water.

My switching is done and I head out of Jackson to the rest of the (unmodeled) railroad.

Whew, my head spins, just thinking about it!

Good job.

Neat idea to photo the operation.
Two thumbs up!
Ralph

WOW great RR Bruce, I am jealous! And your picture are first grade, why not send them to GR. The only problem Mr. Ham Hand (me) would hav ewould I would get hung up in the switch stands!

Also, paint the RR spikes White so they can be seen in low light situations! It does help

Paul

Yes what a neat idea to detail and photograph the operation , I really enjoyed that .

I like the figure on the caboose , and the engineer , but our trains also need someone on the footboards and hanging on the cars while switching .

I grew up train watching , and watching them switch the yards , on the Southern and C&EI , so much that I knew the crews like family almost .
Which ment a lot of caboose rides and locomotive rides as well , long ago .

Long ago in HO , I had a Weston figure of a brakeman that had a foot in the stirup and held onto the handhold on the cars while switching , just like they used to do for real .
I wish that somone made a good [ like Preisner figures ], brakeman figure to ride the cars while switching , as they used to do , with a flag or bug light [lantern] .

Thanks for shareing the joy of operations .

Neat

Nice to hear of an operation on your pike, Bruce. It just goes to show that you don’t need a crowd in order to operate.
Keep up the great work…

Fr.Fred

Bruce,
Looks like the Jackson and Burke survived the abandonment, while you were “out of Country”. Operations is many times just moving cars and/or a train with a purpose. Good pictures, good documentation and it looks like it was a good time.

Nice Bruce!

What a nice day!

OK…thats it…I gotta get on the track upgrades and get some rolling stock built…

Yup. I’ve been slowly building 6’ lengths of track, have about a dozen ready now. Need to work on the track bench at Majestic now.

Bruce,
Very nice pictures and storyline, inspires me to want to get out there and fight the weeds & heat for a good ole opr session.

Love the look of your RR, Bruce. What a great way to spend a summer afternoon!

Thanks for all the nice comments. As Fred says, it just shows you CAN do single-person operation!

How’d you figger the switchlist and all, Bruce?

Bob,
Unfortunately, the switchlist wasn’t automated this time. :wink: (I DO hope that’s in the future!)

What I did was to empty my storage bin - Matheson Textiles. This usually holds 14 cars or so, but for other reasons wasn’t full and there were only 10 cars in it. I thought about going inside and picking up a couple of carriers (each has 4 cars), but that sounded like too much work, so I just distributed the cars around - most in the yard, as I know I wanted a 4 or 5 car train. 10 cars doesn’t go very far, so this train started with only three cars. :wink:

When Doug and Gaetan visited last month, Doug kept coming up with some switching challenges, so I thought I’d incorporate one of them. In this case, it was the local move in Jackson - moving the hopper on a trailing point switch to the Miracle Chair Company - a facing point siding. Beyond that, the rest of the switchlist was just looking at what I had available and deciding what to pick up and drop off. It was all kept in my head (which normally doesn’t have room for much.:wink: )

Train #2 is pretty easy. It’s an Eastbound freight and most of the switches are trailing. But, even trailing switches can be made interesting by having to move an existing car out of the way to make way for the new one.

I am discovering that single person operations can be quite entertaining.

Dennis Paulson said:
Long ago in HO , I had a Weston figure of a brakeman that had a foot in the stirup and held onto the handhold on the cars while switching , just like they used to do for real . I wish that somone made a good [ like Preisner figures ], brakeman figure to ride the cars while switching , as they used to do , with a flag or bug light [lantern] .

Dennis,
Do you have any pictures of that Weston figure? It might be fun to model one like that.

Bruce Chandler said:
Dennis Paulson said:
Long ago in HO , I had a Weston figure of a brakeman that had a foot in the stirup and held onto the handhold on the cars while switching , just like they used to do for real . I wish that somone made a good [ like Preisner figures ], brakeman figure to ride the cars while switching , as they used to do , with a flag or bug light [lantern] .

Dennis,
Do you have any pictures of that Weston figure? It might be fun to model one like that.

Yea… how about a short brass hook on the bottom of one foot, and have the elbow of one arm have a pivot? The other arm has a lantern. Could even do a battery powered lantern, using a flat watch battery.

(http://photos.eastmill.com/GNP/Railroads/Rail%20%201/2%20Brakeman%20on%20train%20of%20pulp.jpg)