Large Scale Central

West Virgina & Kentucky Narrow Gauge Construction Log

Ok…did Ric’s Run and have a full head of steam…Ken hit the road on me, so after SWMBO left for work, out came the plans…and the foam board! I laid out the curves on the half inch stuff and laid it in place on the 2" stuff so I can get an idea of how big an access hole in the middle I can get away with…The engine terminal will go on top of the hole eventually with pop up access to the interior…

With the access planned I was able to shove it in its hole…pay no mind to the equipment in the foreground…its on my TIMESAVER thats stashed over the desk temporarily…

Now we’re getting some vertical interest. Roadbed sections are getting spliced together…and some temporary risers to give some clues for elevation!

Boy, you don’t mess around. All that styrofoam was still out on the back porch when I left yesterday…:wink:

Welp…some stuff got lost in the great ISP frackup…but heres how it looks after completing Midway Yard and part of the main in both directions…

Some places have close clearances, so no riding the carsides…there are prototypcal examples of thisas well, so I’m not terribly concerned.

0-6-0 No3 delivers a boxcar to the End of Track…

4-6-0 No4 sets off some hoppers on the Abandoned Mine Spur…

There will be severe punishment for having too much fun…:stuck_out_tongue:

It’s looking good Bart!

Lookin good Bart! Too bad N scale cant be considered large scale, Id post some of my indoor layout pics! :slight_smile:

Bob McCown said:
Too bad N scale can't be considered large scale... :)
Look at it from a Z scaler's point of view ...
Bob McCown said:
Lookin good Bart! Too bad N scale cant be considered large scale, Id post some of my indoor layout pics! :)
Yeah if it weren't for Gus and Herb.......we couldn't make the argument for O scale either......

Bart Salmons said:
0-6-0 No3 delivers a boxcar to the End of Track…

Heeeeey, that’s a pretty realistic lookin’ floral backdrop ya gots there, Bart! :wink: Howsabout some birdies? :slight_smile: tac www.ovgrs.org

hehehehe See Bart? It isn’t only me that thinks that wallpaper needs to go!

Andre’

Welp, just realized it had been a few days since I updated. With some trackwork in, it was time to wrangle together some sort of a control panel. (Yes I’ve heard of DCC, and I’d still have to put wiring in the layout, mebbe in the future, not now) I wanted something with a cast metal look, and ended up using styrene…

It will be screwed into the layout fascia eventually, when there is a layout fascia, but for now its just temporarily anchored. The mainline advanced to the point that work on the bridges were necessary. Just a flat piece of poplar salvaged from a drawer. The JRVP discovers she likes running the ‘small’ trains too…

Finally track was glued, clamped and nailed to the boards, and an inspection train ran…

Rather a dramatic shot, have to remember this when the scenery is finished…

Prolly the most interesting thing thus far (at least to me) is the completion of the first scenic item, a cut rock pier for supporting the bridges. This was achieved but cutting the shape from 2" foam and scribing it with a razorsaw, steak knife, and No24 Xacto Blade. dinged it up fr tool marks and painted it with several different shades of grey and a black wash…

So Bart, is that a special brand of On30 track that you are using?

YEah …very Special…only select people are known to used it, they are called CHEAP…its all ATLAS components, can be found at any hobby shop…hehehehe I figger by the time ballast is in, no one will know…

So, is it HO track reused for On30 or sold as On30 track? That was the answer I was fishing for. :wink:

Actually, in the photographs it looks like HO brass track. :expressionless:

Heheheh Nope good old Atlas Nickle Silver. Nothing particularly inspiring other than its cheap and avalible…
“Cheat to Win”…thats our
motto…

Bart Salmons said:
Heheheh Nope good old Atlas Nickel Silver. Nothing particularly inspiring other than it's cheap and available........ "Cheat to Win".....thats our motto.....
OK, so the Cheat River is in W.Va., but where's Win? Oh, wait. There is a Winchester, KY. Dunno if you can get there from there. Cheap and available is definitely inspiring.
Bart Salmons said:
Heheheh Nope good old Atlas Nickle Silver. Nothing particularly inspiring other than its cheap and avalible........ "Cheat to Win".....thats our motto.....
So is it HO nickel silver track by Atlas? Do they even make an On30 track? I really don't have a clue.

PECO and Micro Engineering make some specifiacally On30 stuff…this is simply the same HO scale stuff you’d use for an HO layout…And The Cheat River is closer to Winchester , VA than it is to Winchester, Ky

And if they keep pokin fun at the wallpaper , they will think they are in Hazard Ky !