Large Scale Central

Car numbering

OK I’ve been thinking about this…on my 7/8 scale stuff 01-19 was reserved for Non revenue equipment and passenger cars 20-99 were the hoppers…100 series was the flats 200 was gonna be gons or tanks or somthing…I ferget…never got round to it and Boxcars were in the 300 series…Wasn;t really a big deal cause however many I modeled thats how many there were on the line…now that I’mstarting over…with a line that is thoretically much larger…I will have a larger roster (not all will be modeled but will exist…out there …somewhere…perhaps on YOUR RR…)

How does everyone else handle this?

For me it depends on which scale I’m currently using. On my 1:29 standard gauge I use a 6 digit number and assign the first couple digits as a series number…ie: 52xxxx would be 50’ double door box cars or73xxxx would be 3 bay hoppers. As for my narrow gauge stuff, I’ll be using a system much like your 7/8ths. As for the # on my 1 1/2" riding car I came up with a funky system…car #692407 tells me that the car is 69" long, holds 2 people and was built in April 2007…:confused:

Or, you could take the EBT’s early approach and number each class of equipment starting with #1. Prior to their renumbering in (I believe) the 1890s, you could have had a train pulled by locomotive #3, consisting of passenger car #3, combine #3, hopper #3, box car #3, etc.

Later,

K