Large Scale Central

What is a Timesaver? An Inglenook?

For the Wiki

Ask Ric…he knows…:wink:

“Timesaver” is a switching puzzle developed by John Allen in the 1960’s. It is based on the length of the sidings related to the freight cars and engine and is played against time or numbers of moves needed to exchange like cars for like cars (box car for box car). There is an example put together by Alan Wright that can be downloaded and tried on your computer at -

http://www.precisionlabels.com/shunt/jg3tims0.html

“Inglenook” is a switching puzzle based on 3 tracks of different lengths and the number of moves it takes to move the freight cars between these tracks. There is an example put together by Alan Wright that can be downloaded and tried on your computer at -

Told ya…:wink:

Ric

Do you have any pictures of your timesaver or a copy of John Alans design. I would like to do something like it.

Thanks, Chuck

Chuck,

Check this out. It is a great puzzle, but a lousy operating yard. http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-timesaver.html

Steve

Chuck,
Steve speaks the truth on it being a terrible yard. The key to building the puzzle is the limiting of the size of the tracks that makes the puzzle interesting and complicated. But those limitations are what actually make it a terrible yard. On the KVRwy we use the Timesaver as an industrial park and use the Inglenook as a storage yard. At a train show together it allows variety. When installed in the basement the two yards are seperated by a considerable length of track and a switch back that will hold 3 cars and an engine.

Hey, Chuck! Welcome aboard. I see you found us. Besides Steve and myself, John B. hangs here too.

Chuck Inlow said:
Ric

Do you have any pictures of your timesaver or a copy of John Alans design. I would like to do something like it.

Thanks, Chuck

Look here…

http://www.largescalecentral.com/LSCForums/viewtopic.php?id=7073

I need to document these parts of the indoor railroad (Southern Divsion) to continue my tour of the KVRwy in the Articles section anyway. So give me a couple of days and I’ll get some fresh pictures. Went looking for the camera and just realised that it is at an Easter egg hunt right now. I’ve got some work to do on the modules anyway.

The question was asked: “What is a TIME SAVER”…egads…it’s just a saving of time…!!!

So, don't take my answer to heart....Ask Ric and let him show your kid as soon as possible......IT'S CATCHING.......have fun.

I saw it for the first time in Perry, cool. Ric maybe next year I’ll have time to try . Later RJD

It occurs to me that I have some unneeded R1 switches on hand. I think when the grandkids come out to visit this summer, I’ll use them to add an Inglenook to the temporary layout on the patio. That should give the kiddies something more interesting to do than just running the train around in circles – and give me a chance to try a little bit of operation too.

Now Ray that sounds like a very good Idea. Something I need to do next time my grandson comes to visit. Later RJD