Large Scale Central

Operations discussion on LSC Wiki

I’ve started a discussion on layout operation on the LSC Wiki page. I ran out of time to answer some of the obvious questions, so I left them in outline form. Add your own if you have other ideas. If some of you operators can go in there and add your wisdom, that would be great. This is a great place to collect our experience, so don’t be shy.

Look for “I’m bored with watching my locomotive chase it’s caboose. What is next?” towards the bottom of the page.

SteveF

What the heck is a Wiki.
Some sort of ozzie bird?

Chief,

You’re just draggin me into this crap aren’t you? You say the words that Bruce didn’t say, so now I’ll have to look.

I’ve got a life other than this. I’ve got trains to run. Shelves to build and here you go draggin me into a wiki. That just sounds plain cruel.

Okay, I looked at the Wiki. But I have a question.

Wouldn’t it be better to ask the questions here and then transfer the answers over to the “Wiki” to get best exposure and more discussion on the answers? Just a thought.

Not a bad idea, I think I will do just that. :lol:

John Bouck said:
What the heck is a Wiki. Some sort of ozzie bird?
It's what happens to you when you live out in the country too long. :lol: ;)

Steve you got me wondering also what is it? Later RJD

Steve Featherkile said:
Not a bad idea, I think I will do just that. :lol:
Steve,

The way I understand it a Wiki is a work in progress, if you wait 'til the “preliminary discussions” are done, you’ll never have entries in the Wiki.

And in addition to that you need to “distill” all the comments. Remember when they had the thread on MLS regarding the “gauge and scale” quandary? Pages and pages of posts for something that is very simple.

But it’s your choice! :lol: :wink: :lol:

Now as to my two cents on operations:

Simplest: A street car line - running either point to point with passing sidings along the way or could be a circular route with passing siding. But it needs to be single track!

Complicated: Simulate a high traffic line -single track or double track - with plenty of industries, running according to a time table and with written train orders. Add a realistic scheme for car forwarding, add adverse weather conditions i.e. for places other than TOCs, I’d suggest setting up a sprinkler on a grade :wink: :slight_smile: :smiley:

And of course every variation in between!

There seem to be some statements in the Ops part of the LSC Wiki that are not really a question or are not established or written with someplace to reply or to provide an answer.

HJ, Steve doesn’t need to put up sprinklers to simulate weather conditions. All he needs to do is wait 5 minutes. The last 10 years the weather here has gotten worse and worse…and what I get is nothing compared to Steve who’s only 15 miles north of me. :frowning:

Ric Golding said:
There seem to be some statements in the Ops part of the LSC Wiki that are not really a question or are not established or written with someplace to reply or to provide an answer.
Ric,

Looks like someone forgot to add the link doodads, they’re added now and if you click on that sentence it will open a new page.

Have at it!

As noted elsewhere, I added “About operations” to the mainpage of the Wiki.
Fewer clicks and less scrolling to get there. :wink: :slight_smile:

Nice.

It’s starting to show great signs of Spring here on the IPP&W. As soon as the ground dries up a bit, we will have the crews out of the winter quarters in the sand house. (Seems like we need the Bheer Store to come by with several trucks to get rid of the emyies)
The clean up will start, then some upgrading of track work will get started.
A full rebuilding of Ironwood is in the planning stages…all of the planning of upgrades, leads to improvements in the operation.

So…improved operation leads to changes in the RailOp setup.
There has been discussion on moving the dispatcher into the house; away from the action, so he/she can better dispatch, and of course be closer to the bheer fridge.
Another idea is to put in the first signal system.
On the IPP&W there has never been a need for any signal system, except possibly train order, “Order Boards” at the stations where orders might be delivered.
Last year we installed a crossing of the IPP&W by the shortline partner; the RP&M.
There were numerous close calls and one major wreck at the crossing; so the question of signals has been raised.
The system would be controled by the dispatcher. It would be a simple system using red/green LED’s, and a DPDT switch.
Normally the crossing would be left with the IPP&W having clearance. On request, and at the discressuin of the IPP&W dispatcher; the RP&M could have clearance.
So…to manufacture four weather-proof searchlight type signals…another project…

Fr.Fred

Fred,

Having the pleasure of knowing the physical location you are talking about, I think this would be a great location for a crossing barrier (a physical gate across the line - made to swing across one track or the other), controlled by the operators with permission of the dispatcher using a land line or the radios that are currently in use. Stop signs could be on the gates. This is a prototypical solution on many shortlines crossing or entering the territory of the big guys.

Good suggestion, Ric…thanks…

I would think that having the mainline divided into blocks, and having the dispatcher have a CTC panel in front of him, controlling the signals, would be neat. Have manual block occupancy, instead of trying to figure out if someone is in the block electrically. The dispatcher’s job would change slightly, but not too much.

Bob…

As this old IPP&W is supposed to be a NG short line, with little signalling, if any…I’d hate to get involved in a complete signal system.

The crossing is the first situation where a short NG line like this would even contemplate a signal of any type, other than a train order board.

The operation is controled by train orders, which are either delivered on paper, or by the radios…from a dispatcher of hopefully a sober disposition !!

We do need mile posts; and I did get the material to make them from, but that’s another subject…he he…

Fred,

How about designating that point as a meet? Obviously the dispatcher needs to know where the respective trains are and if both are headed for the diamond instruct them that they have to meet - but not as a cornfield meet!

That way you just add signs for Diamond East/West/North/South. No signals required, just some signs that mark the location ahead of the diamond. :wink:

At some crossings either “smash boards” or stop signs are in place where the crew upon stopping must contact the train dispr for permission to pass thus eliminating the need for costly signals.