Large Scale Central

2ND Series of photos from the KVRwy Ops Session

Thought I’d break these up, so they would load easier for some of you. Second series of photos. The doors were locked to the Freight Shed for awhile today and I guess its now open for business again. This is the Eastbound Lumber Extra passing an Eastbound Coal Extra in the siding at “Seaweed” to make a pickup at the “Cemetery Ridge Coal Mine” with tonnage headed for the processing plant at the “Chance Coal Processing Plant” in “Owl’s Bend”.

Here is a Westbound Tourist Extra on the mainline out of “Old State Light” holding for permission from the Dispatcher to clear “Consolidated”, where that grouchy Yardmaster won’t let you bend the rules and get on down the line.

That Eastbound Lumber Extra is coming into “Consolidated” to unload at “Log Siding” in the “KV Water Industrial Park” while that Westbound Tourist Extra takes the leg of the Wye at “Consolidated” to clear the main. Nobody on the “Tourist Run” is upset as cameras flash and they see an old geared Climax working hard. The “Cat Dump Switchback” is in the very front of the picture.

Meanwhile, the Eastbound Coal Extra has completed its work at “Seaweed” and has made it to “Beagle Junction”. They are now stopped at the station to get its orders through the yards of “KV Shops” and get off this crowded line and headed down to the mine and processing plant at “Owl’s Bend”. That’s Mac at the helm of the KVRwy’s Mogul #8.

Meanwhile, down on the “Cat Dump Branchline” the mine at “Cat Dump” has reopened. Out of the picture is a load of reels of cable for the mine that were just dropped on the siding. The 401 is turning the table and then will shove its flat car load into the mine siding.

401 is now air up its load and backing down to the mine siding.

Wheels are chocked and 401 is ready to head back up the track to complete its run at “Old State Light”

Looks like the station trackage is still busy with people visiting the lighthouse at “Old State Light”

And up in the “Consolidated Yard” around the “KV Office” there is lots of tonnage to be sorted and dealt with as a nuther session ends on the KVRwy.

Thanks for posting pictures Ric. Looks like a great time. Hope I can make it some day.

JR

Ric it looks like you guys had lots of fun. Thanks for your photo essay.

Warren

Great pix, Ric. Ah, one of these days I’ll get out there…:wink:

Well guys, we’re just a short drive from anywhere. Sitting conviently in a triangle bond by 3 interstates all equally 20 miles from Carlyle. Interstate 57 on the east, Interstate 70 on the north and Interstate 64 on the south. As Friar Fred noted we even have signs on those Interstates saying this is the exit for Carlyle Lake. You guys don’t need to show up on an “Ops Weekend”. If you visit, we’ll declare it an “Ops Weekend”.

Dang Ric…I’mas close to you as I am to York…and its a straight shot out I 64 all the way! thats the SIMPLEST set of directions I ever found! How’s motel prices in the area???

Obviously, being a resort community it is seasonal, but $50.00 will do quite a bit in finding a room for the night around here.

hehe You got my good side :smiley:

Ric,
Looks like it was a great time alright, one of these days I might just take you up on the offer to “just stop on by”
Fred

Ric Golding said:
Well guys, we're just a short drive from anywhere. Sitting conviently in a triangle bond by 3 interstates all equally 20 miles from Carlyle. Interstate 57 on the east, Interstate 70 on the north and Interstate 64 on the south. As Friar Fred noted we even have signs on those Interstates saying this is the exit for Carlyle Lake. You guys don't need to show up on an "Ops Weekend". If you visit, we'll declare it an "Ops Weekend".
Depends on what your definition of 'short drive' is...From here its "1,229 mi (about 21 hours 33 mins) " according to google maps...
Bob McCown said:
Ric Golding said:
Well guys, we're just a short drive from anywhere.
Depends on what your definition of 'short drive' is...From here its "1,229 mi (about 21 hours 33 mins) " according to google maps...
Just your standard California daily commute, isn't it?

Bob,

We call that a long day and a short day - with still time to run trains. What? You want to spend all the time in your car just going back and forth to work and for those “honeydo projects”. You’ve got to feel the open road, enjoy the strong blasts of air conditioning blowing in your face and the glare of the DVD’s in your eyes as you travel whatever direction you are going. Hit that open road, see America. Meet the people of this land. Remember you guys call our part of this Country " fly over land". Well we call your part of this Country, along the edges, “the buffer zone”. But you also got to remember it is all our Country and its a great place to enjoy life. Miles are just distance, none of them should be considered long.

Bob’s got the short drive. That 1229 miles wouldn’t even get me to Marty’s…:frowning: And from here ya gotta go past Marty’s to get to there…:confused: It’s the “getting past Marty’s” that’s the difficult part…:smiley:

Warren

…belonging to the “Flat Earth Society”; I can safely say that Ric’s place is not “Over the edge”.

I would be careful going too far South, though; never know where that edge is !!!

Ric Golding said:
Bob,

We call that a long day and a short day - with still time to run trains. What? You want to spend all the time in your car just going back and forth to work and for those “honeydo projects”. You’ve got to feel the open road, enjoy the strong blasts of air conditioning blowing in your face and the glare of the DVD’s in your eyes as you travel whatever direction you are going. Hit that open road, see America. Meet the people of this land. Remember you guys call our part of this Country " fly over land". Well we call your part of this Country, along the edges, “the buffer zone”. But you also got to remember it is all our Country and its a great place to enjoy life. Miles are just distance, none of them should be considered long.

That sounds much like my drive to Miami. It seems the two longest parts of my drive are just south of Baltimore to Fredericksburg, VA and from Jupiter to Miami, a total of just 150 miles out of a 750 mile drive. It seems the more lane choices drivers have, the more the likelyhood they will choose the “wrong” lane to drive in. Fortunately, those 2 bad spots are at the beginning and the end of the journey. In between it’s " You’ve got to feel the open road, enjoy the strong blasts of air conditioning blowing in your face and the glare of the DVD’s in your eyes as you travel whatever direction you are going. Hit that open road, see America."

Fred says: " I would be careful going too far South, though; never know where that edge is !!! "

Well, Fred I can tell you "the edge " is just south of Pompano Beach, FL. Beyond that is “No-man’s land”!!

Fred Mills said:
.....belonging to the "Flat Earth Society"; I can safely say that Ric's place is not "Over the edge".

I would be careful going too far South, though; never know where that edge is !!!

Ferdo…must be careful. go too far south…and you wind up in South Joisey!!!

Course…no railroad is complete with a Vogel Flats straightaway.

Vioc
On the Steppes of Central Asia

Ric,

Great job! Let me ask you, what are the small two or three foot metal signs for?

Allen

Those are for the giant train crews to know where each stop on the train orders are.

Tom,

Would you take a close-up of one of those signs so that I can see what you are talking about?

I’ve heard the signs are different…

I guess I’ll have to get out there one of these days and see for myself.