Large Scale Central

Best paint for figures?

What paint is best for plastic figures which will be outdoors? I have a bighorn sheep that’s been outside on my layout for 4-5 months now. The original brown paint has turned greenish. If possible, I’d like to repaint it with something that will hold up better to sunlight, UV etc.

Hi, There are no suitable colours for outside use on the long run. Almost every thing will bleach out and fade within a few months or years. Just look on your trains in the garden. Glossy paints tend to last longer, but don´t look to convincing on figures. So you can use, whatever you have at hand.

Two things are important. A good primer, so the colours have something to hold on. I use a grey zinkbased car primer from a rattle can. But if in doubt, ask your colour dealer. A final coat with an UV light resistant clear varnish. This will not last forever, but will slow down the bleaching. You can get these in shops for artist s supply. The two metal figures in my example (not finished yet) are painted with acylic artist paint fom a tube and powdered colours mixed in egg white. These paint gets very hard and temperature resistant. Some of the Old Masters painted with these latter materials a few hundred years ago. So, what was good for them, should work for us as well. Have Fun Otter 1 / Juergen Zirner