Large Scale Central

Mystery thread

OK , referring back to one of my other posts , maybe I am stoopid .
How long has this thread been here ?
I only noticed it a little while ago . I shall find some figure pics and post to see if anyone else sees it .
Mike M

Pictures from Mike

Thanks , Timmy .
OK , so they aren’t railway men , but at least they are figures ,and as far as I can make out , the first ones in the forum .
So , why don’t one of you be the first to put up a railway chappie ?
Ref. the figures , they do make a point ,the actual size of the figure could just about be encompassed inside the head on the top photo . The whole 1/35 T72 Iraqi tank model is about life size on the second photo . So , wassa point? It is easy to paint small figures . If the figures were 1/48(O) they would be even easier . And , going the other way it gets more difficult , as it happens , the real difficulties start at about 1/24 , the reason being you have difficulty in creating an impression . You have to start detailing . At 1/35 , you can just about get away with not painting eyes , at 1/48 you’re better not trying , they finish up "pop eyed " .At HO , just a blob of pink for the whole face suffices , whereas at 1/22 or thereabouts , you definitely are in to the following
a) almost NEVER using pink for flesh . It’s more yellow than pink . Unless of course you are painting an aborigine .
b) painting not only eyeballs but eyelids eyebrows and mouths , a well sculpted figure will not need this detail
at 1/35 ,and unless you are good at it , it is better not to do it . At 1/24 , you need to have a go .
c) I would never use gloss paint on the final coat of a figure , it looks wrong , and the figure loses depth .
d) some would say paint shadows on the clothing–highlight the wrinkles or some such . That only works when
you know where the figure is to be–i.e.what lighting . Best let nature produce the shadows . The shadows on
the tank men are caused by having the flash higher than the lens . They ain’t painted .

The astute among you will notice that the left hand figure has been picking his nose too much and lost a finger- not only his own , but off his glove . Let this be a warning to you .

So , all homilies aside , let’s see a railway figure here , preferably in my view , not a caricature .
If you want to know how to start , ask , I will try to help .
Mike M

Photos courtesy Timmy of Dehan Computer Services ,thanks Timmy .

Here’s a 7/8 figure driving the Simplex. The figure is a heavily modified figure from Carlo Spirito (Disclosure, he was an advertiser here).

You mean the figures topic? Since about Valentine’s Day when I posted my Valentines ghosts in another forum.