Large Scale Central

Let this be a lesson to all of you

I made the mistake of missing the last club meeting.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that I had “volunteered” to take over the newsletter!

The last time I missed a meeting of an organization of which I was a member was a meeting of the Chief’s Mess aboard USS McClusky (FFG-41). Shortly after that, I found out that I had “volunteered” to be the Mess Caterer." You would think that I would learn.

Still, perhaps there is some good that can come out of this. I can use this “Bully Pulpit” to drag the club into the operations world.

What I would like is the collective wisdome of the group. I’m sure that there is published information that I can use in the newsletter. Cut and paste, file off the serial numbers, and sound like a genius. Of course I will give credit where credit is due. It says so right here, just read the fine print… :wink:

So, how does one get a club whose interest does not extend much beyond watching the locomotive chase the caboose to try some operatin’? Making up trains, goin here and there, picking up and dropping off cars, breaking up trains, staying out of the way of the Varnish, and so on.

Thanks in advance.

SteveF

If nominated, I will not run.
If elected, I will not serve.

Always worked for me…

A number of us wanted to do this at the Gateway Garden Railroad Club modular layout during shows. We asked at a club meeting if this would be acceptable, since the club had run the layout in circles for many years. It was started by using a battery operated r/c engine on the same trackage as the track powered stuff and basically asking the track powered controller to just stop at the station while switching went on. We are in to about the 4 th year of performing switching moves at train shows and though we have had a few glitches of who gets track time. We have progressed.

We have more and more guys looking at their model railroad as an operating entity modeling a working railroad, but we still have a large element that just wants to see a train run in circles as they doze at the controls at the end of the modules.

What has worked best is to find someone interested in doing the ops with you and have them control run the track powered trains while you perform operations. Don’t try to dominate the whole day doing this, but try to have an hour or two dedicated to switching manuevers. It has added a great deal of interest to people watching our layout during a train show weekend.

For us, what has worked the best is transferring like cars for like cars at industrires and exchanging what trains are running in circles as a switching move rather than just using the five finger crane to lift old trains off the tracks and new trains on to the tracks. A whole new switch yard with turntable had to be established on the inside of the layout to allow all this happen. Its not perfect, but we have made great progress in “Operating” our model railroad and everybody’s attitude.

I think both are fun.

Newsletters can be fun too. I did one for the model airplane club in Freeport for years.

Steve,
Foist of all, you can do “ops” a lot better with bat/rc, ruther than track power.
Let me see----I’m tryin’ to remember how many club members do the bat/rc thing—Um, that’s about —none of 'em. (That I know of—well, mebe 1.) :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Being out of the loop for about 6 months, I can’t say fer sure, but I can only think of one clubbers layout that has enough sidings and mainlines for “ops”. And this guy is an old “Lionel-itis” fan.
Speeding trains–watching them go roundy-round like the fans out at the state line race track.
What we need to do is form a small ops SIG and then make a road trip to TOC’s to see how it’s done on a Fri Nite.
Oh, BTW, congrats on yer promotion. If you need any help, lemme know off list. I have all the software, publishing, editing stuff. I offered it to that last editor, whom did not avail of it.
jb

Steve,

I did forget to thank you for stepping up or out and volunteering. It is always appreciated.

JB- ya gotta start somewhere.

I’m meeting with the HO group in the valley tonight for their operations night. I think you know the place… If I make nice, mabe I can get ahod of one of their throttles.

So, how does one get a club whose interest does not extend much beyond watching the locomotive chase the caboose to try some operatin’? Making up trains, goin here and there, picking up and dropping off cars, breaking up trains, staying out of the way of the Varnish, and so on.

Steven,

I don’t belong to a club up here in the untamed wilderness but judging from my limited experience with them in the past I think it’s better initially not to press the issue too vigorously.

Instead I’d try education at first for a few months at least. A monthly article on a specific prototype procedure followed by a way to replicate it on a typical roundy round RR would gently educate and perhaps plant a seed in some members. After a year or so suggest an “operations” meet perhaps when you host a monthly meeting at your RR or right after. Of course if there’s interest before that you can have a get together with a smaller subgroup from the club now and then before that.

Most of the garden railroad club members I’ve met have little or no knowledge of train ops and emphasize the social aspects of the club with its attendant train(s) running around in circles. While there’s nothing wrong in this and it even can be fun in its own right, it does mean that considerable education is in order in most cases before you can drag them kicking and screaming into trying RR operations. It’s important not to force the issue and alienate a significant portion of the membership. Operation on a garden RR is quite a radical thing to some people and can be intimidating. If they feel you are trying to take away what they have and replace it with something else it could lead to a breakup or splitting of the club.

Education and gentle persuasion coupled with assurances that you are advocating additional options rather than replacing the status quo will go farther I think. In any event you won’t get everyone to want to try operations but you may find enough to start a regular operating night.

…one way to start looking at operation; is to ask at the next running session; “OK; what else does it do ?”

This usually falls on ears that are unaccustom to any change over a number of years.
The way we won over a lot of people; was to stage an operation on a pike, and after that, everyone wanted to operate; because “It was so much more fun”.

After several weeks of lack of an operation, due to track realignment; the guys are chomping at the bit for this Saturday’s operation…the first for this year.

I’m looking for a good source of article to help explain the concept of operating a layout. How it might be more fun than watching trains go roundy-roundy.

I admit to getting some enjoyment from watcing that, too, but i know there is more.

Steve,
Some research material:
http://www.gatewaynmra.org/operate.htm

http://home.cogeco.ca/~trains/rroperat.htm
http://www.opsig.org/

j

Curmudgeon said:
If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.

Always worked for me…

I do believe that you WERE nominated, you WERE elected, and you do indeed SERVE

I was not nominated, nor elected.

It was an odd deal…

Talk about getting elected/volunteered. I was a few years back, president of the Salem Oregon large scale train club. I won by default as no one was there. Just kidding, I served my term and then decided it was some one else’s tour. While it was interesting I found that it was just like other clubs that I have heard about, about 10% do all the work and the rest find something to complain about !

Do I see a hand up ? Stand up and testify…

Cheers,

Ah’d like to testify, Brother…

Build yourself a Timesaver. Set it up at the next meet next to the roundy-round. Allow clubmembers to observe on their own how many people gather at each. Mention that trains that stop at various places along the way can be made to do the same thing…

Or, short of building a new layout… use your battery engine to make up the trains in the fiddle yard, or at least to switch cars… lots more interesting than using the 0-5-0. When nobody’s looking, throw the switch, and sneak up behind a roundy round for helper duty… then break off and return to the yard all without stopping the train on the main line.

Little things.

Matthew (OV)

…I guess we do things a bit different at the OVGRS…everyone that joins, get’s a free breakfast, and is then appointed to a position of Vice President, of whatever they want to be in charge of.
We have never had a president, or treasurer…but usually there are several VP’s in charge of “Twist Caps”.
No dues or charges for membership, as we do not own anything, and we do not have a newsletter…just a web page that everyone can contribute to.
Somehow, “Snortin’ Norton” has become VP of “Web Page Development”; he was Staff “Picturetaker”, but missed too many opportunities by sleeping in or going out and bothering the fishes…so we elevated him…!!!

One thing we do try to remember:  "It's only a hobby", and our one rule is:

"If you feel obliged to be with us; YOU HAVE MISSED THE POINT"

We are still having fun after 20 years or more.......

I forgot the most important part of my bit with the club in Salem. Some of us got fed up with the politics and formed the Willamette Rail Fans group.
NO rules, dues, newsletters. We had a blast going to various train shows and other train stuff. Oh ! There were only 6 of us and that was it. Unfortunately two of them, Frank and Don have departed to the hereafter…
Bummer as they were very good friends…