Large Scale Central

Lets Flog the Deceased Equine a bit more

As construction continues on the WV&K Cassville Yard facilities continue, the prospect of operation and a valid and satisfying operating system looms. This weekend should see construction begin on the third 4x8 section which will support Engine service facilities (coal,water, sand) and a depot for mainline and branchline trains. Beggining operations I suspect will begin with the servicing of a single mixed train into the yard. (A mixed train is a combination freight and passenger job and as such will always have a passenger car in the consist).

Maximum train length is going to be determined by the staging yard capacity, which at 12 feet is about 5 freightcars plus the combine. Cars in the mixed train will be of three types:(1) Local Delivery (2) Destined for Branchline (3) “Deadheads” (cars that have no destination on the layout, they come from and return to staging)

Now for the decision making process. How do we determine the number and type of cars coming onto the layout?

I’m thinking a die roll…but how to distribute the randomness? I submit that the following items must be addressed with some deree of randomness.

(1) Train length- while there is a decided maximum I do beleive there should be a randomly selected minimum, lets face it a lcomotive adn passenger car only rolling into the yard IS a legitimate possibility, and turning a locomotive alone is operating goal, but its frankly a bit boring.

(2) Type of car- Self explanatory I think…

(3) Car destination- How do we decide where each car is going? Is it a local, Branch or deadhead car? And just which local or branchline destination is it consigned to? Just cause there isn’t an on the layout destination for a reefer doesn’t mean that one couldn’t have been picked up by one along the mixed train’s run. This would allow one to have cars in the inventory that really don’t do anything but get in the way for switching purposes.

(4) Outbound-there is the whole question of how do we select the outbound cars? Do we just assume that anycar thats already at a destination needs to go somewhere else? And how do we decide what cars were already ‘on station’ prior to the beginning of the operation?

I think these four topics are the essential things that need to be answered by an operating system, train crews really don’t care whats in a car, just where its going. Since most operators will already establish a timetable with certain trains called for a certain time this simple fleshing out of the consist is really all one needs for simple yet satisfying operations. Perhaps you want to have a full coal drag Ok…thats a string of hopper…have a radomizer to come up withhow many…how bout more than one mixed/freight consist? Well then you go through the motions of randomizing that consist too. For that matter have your dispatcher roll a die to see if any extra trains need to be called for the day. Once we determine a fast and easy method of doing this for both small and large layouts, I think we’ll have hit the jackpot!

Bart,
So what is the reason for the WV & K RR to exist? If you’ve said it before, I forgot. Coal mines from a branchline feeding a connection with a larger railroad? A bridge line from one railroad to another? Wouldn’t that philosophy govern the traffic movement? Cars that don’t have normal freight business on the railroad could be there for repair or being carried over the line as a bridge between two other railroad’s right of ways.

The WV&K exisits to move freight from one destination to another…like all railroads do. It is a common carrier narrow gauge operation, catering to the mining and lumber industries, yet with a diversified industrial and manufacturing base. Cassville Yard represents the distant terminus of the mainline with a junction of a branchline that serves a mining operation and assorted other industries. As such any type of car in the inventory may be found even if its just “passin’ through”…

While its main business is that of a coal hauler, the modeling of bulk mineral transport is frankly BORING. Strings of hoppers go to the mine and then come back…The coal drags will be fitted in there…just to cause an obstruction to the rest of the switching operation, similarly the log train…but the operational focus will be general freighting…

“As such any type of car in the inventory may be found even if its just “passin’ through”…”

Ah, Bart…the “DoLord” branch, with interchange at “Blue”…

“This world is not my home, I’m just a-passing through.
My treasures are laid up, somewhere beyond the blue…”

With connections through Angel, Beckon, and Heaven…

Bart, so, the WV&K RR originates and terminates at this yard/terminus??

Nope…this is the far end of the line, 20 some odd miles from the river port town and junction with the standard gauge WV&K at Port Lavender. this yard is the turnaround point for out and back traffic adn the interchange point for the Pearce Branch with the Mainline…

Bart,

One thing I would suggest is that rather than roll dice to ascertain the number of cars on each train that you roll the die for the total number of cars to be moved that day. Then the dispatcher would assign the appropriate number of trains to be run and the locomotives and crews to make it happen. Thus you might for example have one, two or three trains to run. Your mainstay, coal, I would do separately from the other freight hauled by the line as presumably they would be mostly dedicated trains.

This would simplify things somewhat from a dispatching point of view and allow for wide variation in the number of cars and trains run each day. Three die for example would yield a number from 3 to 18 cars to be moved with about 10 being the average.

A second roll for each car could determine its type. The numbers assigned for each type should be weighted according to goods normally hauled by your line. For example if most goods other than coal is moved in boxcars you might assign numbers 2-6 for box, 7-8 for flat, 9 for reefer, 10 for gondola, 11 for stock and 12 for tankcar.

I’m enjoying the progress you’re making on your RR and the ensuing discussions.

…we find that just burning a trestle, creates a new operating fiasco…it also gets a bit of insurance money back into circulation…buys more Single Malt…

Fr.Fred

Richard Smith said:
Bart,

One thing I would suggest is that rather than roll dice to ascertain the number of cars on each train that you roll the die for the total number of cars to be moved that day. Then the dispatcher would assign the appropriate number of trains to be run and the locomotives and crews to make it happen. Thus you might for example have one, two or three trains to run. Your mainstay, coal, I would do separately from the other freight hauled by the line as presumably they would be mostly dedicated trains.

Now THAT is an excellent Idea Richard! I like it! It even works for a single train scenario…