Large Scale Central

Have we lost our marbles?

In my never ending quest for new, exotic and PROTOTYPICAL industries to expand the WV&K customer base I stumbled across…Industrial marbles! Seems there was once a thriving marble industry in the WV Hills (yes Imean them thar little round balls of glass) Apparently 14 of 18 marble producing factories in the world were located here, 9 of those in the same county around Pakersburg. Not only have marbles been produced since before the turn of the century for the toy industry, they are made for industrial applications like reflective paint, agitators in spraycans and even used as ball bearings in gun turrents! If that ain’t a War Effort Industry what is?

Anyone got any ideas on how we can adapt this to railroad purposes? I envision scrap glass arriving in hoppers and being shipped as marbles in boxcars, or do they manufactuer their own glass before making the marbles? anyone? Anyone? OF course packaging materials would be shipped in as well. Anything I havn’t thought of?

Of course we have.

Hmmm… A marble factory cool!

I wondered where I lost them at! Them thar hills, huh? Who’da think?

madwolf

Hey, neat idea. Here’s an old marble factory - looks like it would easy enough to model.

More can be found over here. http://akronmarbles.com/christensen_agate_company.htm If you’re ever in Akron, you can visit The American Marble and Toy Museum!

Yeah…seems lie it wouldn;t have to be too expansive. A Furnace building to melt glass and an actual production area…then packaging and shipping. Would prolly look like any of a 100 small industrial structures…

The number one consumer of glass marbles is still rattle cans of paint, varnish and laquer. Don’t believe it cut open an empty and depressurized can to see for yourself

You’ve been hanging around quartergaskets too long…having to mention empty and depressurized can before you cut it open…

Now, my grandfather Ruby was always interested in how things worked, and when shaving cream in a can was a pretty new thing, he decided to find out what’s inside.

So when the can ran out, he carefully made sure it was out of foof, gathered all the kids together, took a can opener and …

Picked up the wrong can…

Tom,

That was good! I’m sure it made a lasting impression.