Large Scale Central

Operations Solutions

Two of the recommendations that came from my Fall Ops Session critique were _ 1) More signage at Stations and Industrial Locations. (this was quite humurous to me because it was my exact complaint to the IPP&WRR after last year’s “American Invasion”) The solution for this was to create identifiable name posts that could be seen across the railroad. Here is a close up of “Fiddle”.

Pull the picture back a little and you can see how it fits in the terrain.

The post is 1 inch pvc pipe with a label maker sign. It is slid over a 1/2 inch 2 foot long rebar driven in to the ground.

I have to agree that it makes the station location far more visible. This is “Red Bud” -

If you look across this portion of the yard, you can see 3 different locations, “Pin Oak”, “Red Bud” and “KV Cabins”. They are visible by the pvc pipe sticking up.

1. The Dispatcher and Operator need to see the same map for easier communications. The attempted solution is a new Dispatcher’s Board. Those of you that are members of the GGRC or attended the ECLSTS, have seen the new Dispatcher’s board. The solution for the Operator are track signage at stations and industries. This the trackage sign at “Fiddle”.

Here is a close up of what’s on the sign.

And here is the trackage it covers.

For an industry like the Cemetary Ridge Coal Mine, which is shown in this picture.

And the map for that industry.

By Sunday night, I’ll be able to tell you how this worked out.

Nice, Rick. Part of my ultimate goal is to have some sort of signage, and mile markers. Thanks for the ideas for the town signs

Looks good, Ric! Maybe you can inspire some signs for the Invasion? :wink:

Good luck on your session. Wish I could be there.

Ric ,
I have to say it . That’s one in the eye for all the doom mongers who say that real trees are not to scale and spoil layouts .
Your garden and its railway ought to be compulsory viewing for all the dibelievers .
That is one damn fine layout , and I’m envious as hell . Its setting is about as good as you could get .
I really like it . Nice work .
Mike
ps even the white post looks neat .

One of the great things is that outdoor railroads are NOT meant to be MODEL railroads…the good ones are MINATURE railroads outdoors!!! And Ric has definately defined that with his line!

Great idea Ric, nice job! The label maker you used, is it the kind that makes a plastic type sign, any idea how it will hold up to the weather? Or , will time tell?

Nudder idea that might be cool, is to maybe get some of those real tall water towers (Like Garden Metal Masters – can’t remember the name off hand). Then paint the name of the town on them, like they do in the Midwest. They stick up high enough to be seen all over the layout.
j

John,

Good idea, but part of my problem is storage. The PVC pipe and rebar all store in a simple box for the twice a year “Ops Session”.

Fred,

The label maker is a “P Touch”. I have a couple of test prints out at the harbor over 5 years old with no signs of detioration.

I was just going to say:

“Without the pipe, wouldn’t that rebar be awful hard on shins while you’re working around the garden?”

So what are you going to do about barefoot brats stepping on your signals and crossbucks?