Forums Modeling O / On30
  • Topic: Ken's On30 layout - Was: Foam? "Scenery Plugs"

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 25, 2006 7:31 PM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Ric Golding said:
      Solution - if the kids want to move back in, let them have the garage. ;-) But they have to still alow room for the cars. Your just tooooo soft hearted.
      He he....you're right! and mom's even worse.......... The shed out back is even better..........;)

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• January 26, 2006 5:43 AM EST

• Thanks

The layout image reflects the newer version of the track plan. I modified it to show the new locations of the fiddle yard and gravel siding.
      Quote:
      "WB With the stock yard and meat plant on that end with each having 2 sidings there's not much room for a fiddle yard, though it would be nice to have one there too. For right now, with what I have here, it can keep me busy for 45 minutes to an hour depending on how many days switching I want to run through.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• January 26, 2006 6:58 AM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

Ken, you said -
      "With the stock yard and meat plant on that end with each having 2 sidings there's not much room for a fiddle yard, though it would be nice to have one there too."

A "Fiddle Yard" can be a single track. Its just where stuff comes on and off the railroad. At least that is how it is defined in my head.

Check out page 1 on my website -
      http://www.kvrwy.com/KVRTourPage1.htm

Remeber just my thoughts and my interpretations.
    • January 26, 2006 7:31 AM EST

• Thanks

Ric Golding said:
      Ken, you said - "With the stock yard and meat plant on that end with each having 2 sidings there's not much room for a fiddle yard, though it would be nice to have one there too." A "Fiddle Yard" can be a single track. Its just where stuff comes on and off the railroad. At least that is how it is defined in my head. Check out page 1 on my website - http://www.kvrwy.com/KVRTourPage1.htm Remeber just my thoughts and my interpretations.
      Actually checked out all 6 pages..........nice story. Gives me a good idea of what your layout looks and acts like. On the large scale layout I'll have a staging area(storage) on the shelf directly under the 0 layout. Its on the same level as the garage window and will have a 2% grade down to the outdoor layout. It served that purpose on the first layout before the major rebuild.

(Indoor)

(outdoor)

• January 26, 2006 7:50 AM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

I just realized you are using some shelving like we have bought at HD. This works for holding up your ON30 layout? That's a good idea. We've got to get Bob to change the title of this.
    • January 26, 2006 8:37 AM EST

• Thanks

Ric Golding said:
      I just realized you are using some shelving like we have bought at HD. This works for holding up your ON30 layout? That's a good idea. We've got to get Bob to change the title of this.
      Yup, works real well and cheap too. I drilled holes in the foam where the uprights go and that holds the layout in place. Then added some 1" foam board along the back as a backdrop. It may be a bit too high for someone 5'9" but I have a plastic milk crate I stand on to work on the back portion. You'll notice the middle shelf is a bit higher than the shelves on either side of it. Some 1/2" foam was used to keep them all at the same level. Sears and Wal-Mart were the providers of the shelves and I think that's where the discrepancy lies, two differant brands.

Here's the inside showing the garage window and a part of the outside layout. The inside layout was extended past those shelf brackets you see on the other side of the window.

This shot shows the disparities in the shelving units and where the uprights go through the foam.

• March 14, 2006 5:11 PM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Ken ,
      I only just realised there is a dog in the bowl of water on your lawn . Is it a special railway dog , and thus slightly crackers ? I mean , where's his cushion for his head ? A good inflatable one would suit a treat there .I take it he/she is a Dachsund ? Or is it a long nuther type ? Pretty cool , anyway .
      Mike M ,dog lover . Cat hater .
      ps we got 0n30 too , it's sweet ,ain't it though ?
    • March 22, 2006 4:35 AM EST

• Thanks

Mike Morgan said:
      Ken , I only just realised there is a dog in the bowl of water on your lawn . Is it a special railway dog , and thus slightly crackers ? I mean , where's his cushion for his head ? A good inflatable one would suit a treat there .I take it he/she is a Dachsund ? Or is it a long nuther type ? Pretty cool , anyway . Mike M ,dog lover . Cat hater . ps we got 0n30 too , it's sweet ,ain't it though ?
      Well, Mike, that's not a "bowl" of water, it's a plastic kiddie swimmin pool. It's about 6' accross. And I guess you could say the dog is "special"! That's Skip, my yellow Labrador Retreiver and the pool is where he cools off on a hot summer day after playing his favorite game of "retreiving" one of his favorite toys. His brother Jake is the one who's slightly "crackers". Jake was the runt of the litter and seems to live in his own little world. As for an inflatable pillow, Skip would treat that as another toy and it would end up as a chewed-up piece of plastic within 10 minutes. I wish I had half the energy he has........;)

• March 22, 2006 8:09 AM EST

•  
      • Thanks

Well ,it just shows how age can make ya stoopid . I could a swored that was a bowl . Now you say it's a pool , course it's a pool . So I insulted the poor dawg , callin' a labrador a dachsund . Damme , I had two labbies , a black bitch and a gold dog . Both barmy . But lovely things to greet you when you get up or when you come home . Unbounded joy ,and damn great feet in yer face , yep , I miss 'em like hell . The bitch used to blow the horn if I left them in the car too long (like 5 minutes).
      Mike
    • March 22, 2006 8:39 AM EST

• Thanks

Don't worry, Mike I won't tell him you called him a "daschund"........though he probably wouldn't care as long as you don't call him late for supper. These two are the second pair of Labs I've had. Friendliest dawgs I've ever seen...........though they could possibly lick ya to death. Plus I doubt an 80+ lb. Lab would fit in a "bowl" of water........;) If I leave mine in the car they drool and wipe everything down with their tails........hopefully they won't figger out where the horn button is.

Forums Modeling O / On30

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google