Forums Modeling O / On30
  • Topic: Ken's On30 layout - Was: Foam? "Scenery Plugs"

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • January 20, 2006 6:23 AM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

I was looking where to put my posting and forgot I was in On30 instead of modeling. Main topic is in Modeling.
    • January 20, 2006 6:46 AM EST
      • Who Ya Gonna Call?, Ft Gay, WV

• Thanks

Been thinking on scenery a bit myself as of late Rick. I have done a bit of scenicing on my portable 7/8 scale loop, but nothing like a mountain side.This past weekend I got the dropleaf section of the layout built for across the door of the layout room, and all the trackage installed and functioning. Consequently I've dug out the old scenery books from HO and reeducating myself on the process! The illustration is a general idea of how I'd like one section of the layout to look....

I had good luck creating my own ground foam in a blender and a small food processor and dyeing the stuff various shades of green and brown. I just never was able to get REALLY FINE foam, so I figger I will have to buy that too. My tunnel section (where it says "To Midway") I am designing to be a viewblock between the modules and it will of course be removable......just in case. This is a part of indoor railroading that I'm really looking forward to.
    • January 20, 2006 7:23 AM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

So "Anniebid" is On30, 7/8, (?) or inside and outside, portable or what? I know you show it on your outside trackplan. Are there two "Anniebirds"?
    • January 20, 2006 7:25 AM EST

• Thanks

HAhahahaha Ok...ya got me.....Annie Bird is 1/3 of the Oscale layout. Midway and East Lavender are the other two... The main yard on the 7/8 line is Anns Creek (yup both named for the JRVP) there aren;t any duplicate names as bothe layouts are seperate divisions of the same railroad, thus I don't really specify a gauge other than 'narrow'.....

• January 20, 2006 7:34 AM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

You show it on modules, how portable? What are the dimensions?
    • January 20, 2006 7:43 AM EST

• Thanks

The Anniebird and East Lavender Modules are 8' x 2' with a roughly 2' extention in the case of Anniebird for the dropleaf. Midway was thee original 'germ' of On30 that started out as a stand alone switching layout at 6' x 2'. It is 'movable' (I wouldn;t want to though!) but not portable, and is mounted to the room walls by one of those modular shelving systems ya find at Home Depot. my "Portable" layout is basically a 10 x 14 loop that stays in storage most of the time and only comes out to do the loacl railroad show in November.
    • January 20, 2006 8:14 AM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

Do you have your tracks and industries marked on the Oscale layout?
    • January 23, 2006 8:43 AM EST

• Thanks

Only in my mind for the moment. Not sure how I'm going to handle that, but since I'm probably gonna be the sole operatior for quite a while I got time to work on it. Other than the Mine there is only the quarry and the supply company at Midway to work. East LAvender is just a yard and engine terminal, that service the other two modules. I started with the Anniebird section because thats where inspiration struck!
    • January 23, 2006 5:28 PM EST
      • West Grove, Pennsylvania

• Thanks

Ric Golding said:
      Do you have your tracks and industries marked on the Oscale layout?
      I used a label maker to label the industries on mine. Juat stuck them on the edge of the foam ........closest one on the bottom , furtherest one on top........

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• January 24, 2006 11:44 AM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

Ken,

I guess I'm gettin real pushy here, so I can understand your layout better. I meant on the track plan, if possible, could you label your industries? However, I am also trying to do that on my layout and also using a label maker on the inside portion and even temporarily on the outisde portion. One of my goals for this next Ops session is to have all statiosn and all industries labeled. On my Dispatcher's Board I have all tracks labeled, but I don't know if I'll get that far on the outside tracks. Todd Siddel has some galvanized nursery plaques, he's going to let me have to label things outside. We'll see how that works.
    • January 24, 2006 5:48 PM EST

• Thanks

Ric Golding said:
      Ken, I guess I'm gettin real pushy here, so I can understand your layout better. I meant on the track plan, if possible, could you label your industries? However, I am also trying to do that on my layout and also using a label maker on the inside portion and even temporarily on the outisde portion. One of my goals for this next Ops session is to have all statiosn and all industries labeled. On my Dispatcher's Board I have all tracks labeled, but I don't know if I'll get that far on the outside tracks. Todd Siddel has some galvanized nursery plaques, he's going to let me have to label things outside. We'll see how that works.
      + Yup!

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." --Martin Luther King Jr

• January 24, 2006 7:06 PM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

Okay, Cool! So why is your "Fiddle Yard" in a switching or storage yard? Just my thoughts, but I sure think it would work at the East Bound track to Canyon City. Now I'm thinking Fiddle yard as a place where cars come on and off the layout.
    • January 25, 2006 7:21 AM EST

• Thanks

Ric Golding said:
      Okay, Cool! So why is your "Fiddle Yard" in a switching or storage yard? Just my thoughts, but I sure think it would work at the East Bound track to Canyon City. Now I'm thinking Fiddle yard as a place where cars come on and off the layout.
      Well Ric ........DUH!! I guess that's why we share these ideas and see what transpires. I never did like the fiddle yard location but couldn't see where else to put it. Kinda like not seeing a forest cause trees were in the way.......;) So moving the fiddle yard to where the Gravel siding is would be a better location. The gravel siding would move to where the fiddle yard is now. It would make a lot more sense because outbound trains could be made up there and inbounds could be stored there. So now I don't only have to change the track arrangement but the layout schematic. ...........the track I can do....the schematic will have to wait as my computer is down and I'm using the wife's. Muchos Gracias, senor.............;)

• January 25, 2006 9:00 AM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

I'm drawing an absolute blank, but there is a switching puzzle that is close to a duplication of the track plan you have for your area east of Salida and heading east bound to Canyon City.

I cheated and went and looked - Inglenook

http://www.precisionlabels.com/shunt/jpage330.html
    • January 25, 2006 1:04 PM EST

• Thanks

Ric Golding said:
      I'm drawing an absolute blank, but there is a switching puzzle that is close to a duplication of the track plan you have for your area east of Salida and heading east bound to Canyon City. I cheated and went and looked - Inglenook http://www.precisionlabels.com/shunt/jpage330.html
      Am I missing something? Where do you find Inglenook on that site? I see two, the Riverside and the S & A RR. I guess there's only so many differant kinds of switching arrangements that somebody's bound to hit on one even by accident. What I've decided is to extend the siding below the chair co.and have that the gravel yard. And then just mirror image the fiddle yard off the main below that. That'll work a whole lots better................;)

• January 25, 2006 4:48 PM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

Ken, Riverside is the "Inglenook Switching Puzzle", simple but demanding and quite common. Certainly your railroad, just my thoughts. I like a "Fiddle Yard" to be at the location of a connection indicating someplace off the railroad. That "EB> to Canyon City" just needs one more track on the north side of the main and that's where I'm seeing the Inglenook. Just thoughts of a good place to bring cars on and off the layout. A place totally seperate from your industries. "WB
    • January 25, 2006 5:41 PM EST

• Thanks

Ric Golding said:
      Ken, Riverside is the "Inglenook Switching Puzzle", simple but demanding and quite common. Certainly your railroad, just my thoughts. I like a "Fiddle Yard" to be at the location of a connection indicating someplace off the railroad. That "EB> to Canyon City" just needs one more track on the north side of the main and that's where I'm seeing the Inglenook. Just thoughts of a good place to bring cars on and off the layout. A place totally seperate from your industries.
      I agree......just didn't see it when I was laying out the track and figgering the industries. As for expansion, unless the garage magically gets longer on either end, it'll stay the size it is. It's just something to do in the winter and I have all I can handle with the Large Scale stuff....................;)

• January 25, 2006 5:54 PM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

I really like the idea of the track plan and the wintertime activity is what caused me to take the "Timesaver" off the garage wall and haul it to the basement. Operations for me in the winter time is working on equipment and completing scenery on the inside portion. I do this by moving equipment toward my workbench (or R.I.P. track area) or away from it. All of it is still done without carrying rolling stock, equipment or engines any more than necessary. Store the items on the track or on a shelf as close as possible and use the running of the railroad to work on the railroad. Makes for some difficult moves and rolling stock stored on "Switchbacks" or where ever. Lately, I have to keep track open to run trains when the grandkids show up. Oh, the pressure of this job.
    • January 25, 2006 6:20 PM EST

• Thanks

If I find it challenging enough I may incorporate it into the outside layout somewhere though it may end up as a single track mainline on the outdoor line with a passing siding off the mainline. Of course I have more to do outside in order to expand the RR to where I want it. But that's the fun of it...........;)

Since my 2 kids moved out (again) in the last 2 weeks and I have my rec room back, I'll move the hobby workshop in to that so I don't have to freeze my butt off out in the garage when the propane runs out.

• January 25, 2006 6:29 PM EST
      • Southern Illinois

• Thanks

Solution - if the kids want to move back in, let them have the garage. ;-) But they have to still alow room for the cars. Your just tooooo soft hearted.
Forums Modeling O / On30

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google