Large Scale Central

Tweaking Operations - Always Need/Want Help

I started writing this up in the thread that is such a great discussion on Operations that was started by Bruce’s plea. I soon realized that was hijacking his thread and decided it was best to start my own. The plea of Always Need/Want Help is just a statement of really enjoying thinking, talking, cussing and discussing this part of the hobby. For me it is the driving force. So here goes -

Having a little time early this AM, I went back, printed and reread Kevin’s article he referenced -

http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33073#top

and the Train Movement chart that was also referenced -

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/eastbroadtop/TRRConstruction/TRRfreightmovement.htm

They are both excellant writings and placing them alongside some other work done by members here, give a real good scenario of railroad operations.

I’ve got a new dispatcher that is working hard to learn and develop the skills to carry the daunting task of controlling the “Operating Sessions” we have in the Spring and Fall. I want to pass these writings on to give a good overview of what is suppose to be happening.

Problem, concern, opportunity or whatever you want to call it.

Kevin is moving 14 pieces of rolling stock. Perfect for a 1912 narrow gauge railroad. And perfect for a one or two person operations

We are attempting to move over 14 coal hoppers in trains that are limited to 7 cars in a consists, return manifests of equal size, plus a “Mixed Daily” and a number of Tourism Extras, assorted “Live Steam” and people just wanting to try out their battery powered equipment or show up to eat.

This is done by a group of regulars, that help every 6 months, plus newbies, wantabies and a neighborhood kid or two. Attention span is sometimes good for a little while, but pre-training, devotion to doing it right and care for the event is somewhat limited ( depending on weather, football game that is on and what food my yardmaster is serving).

Please, discussion.