Large Scale Central

Completing the Ops Session

On the first weekend of November the KVRwy held its Fall Ops Session. Of course when everyone is finished having fun, it’s my job to complete what didn’t get done. It completes the cycle and creates the setup for the next session. The basic operating function of this little branch line is to haul tourist and general freight in the Summer and coal in the Winter. So the Spring Ops Session is hauling empty coal cars back to the mine at Owl’s Bend (in the basement) and tourism cars and general freight cars to Fiddle ( the garage). The procedure is reversed in the Fall. Full loads of coal are hauled out of the valley and those tourism cars, plus general freight get hauled to Owl’s Bend for repair and storage. Well, in Fall 2005 all of the coal got hauled to Fiddle for interchange (that’s revenue), but the tracks were full in Fiddle because most general freight and some of the tourism cars didn’t get back to Owl’s Bend. So enters my job, complete the cycle. With the Holiday approaching, work slowing down and weather cooperating, there was time to run trains this afternoon. A lone freight was filmed rounding sweetwate as it headed for Beagle Jct. and then the interchange at Southern Jct. Here is that Eastbound Freight Extra at Sweetwater

The Eastbound Extra is now through Beagle Jct. and is seen heading through Southern Jct. bound for Owl’s Bend.

The same train is seen coming toward Southern Interchange

The Eastbound Extra is seen here, tied up at Southern Interchange. Power will be transferred and the consist will be sorted to its assigned areas at Owl’s Bend or the Timesaver yard at Allen.