Large Scale Central

Bachmann BH Crosshead Valve Guide replacement?

I posted this before, but I think I sent it to the wrong forum. Sorry about that.

I do a lot of display railroads, so I churn through Big Haulers. They keep coming back with the valve guide broken by people who picked them up wrong. I have too many locos that are perfectly fine otherwise in my “parts bins.” Does someone make a replacement for these? BBT used to make metal ones but he’s out of business. Bachmann is out of replacement parts.

They WERE here: https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_671_148&products_id=4902

Surely someone with a 3d printer has sorted this by now. . . .

Thanks all,

Paul

I don’t see one offered, but contact GLX Models here https://glxscalemodels.com/. Gilbert might be willing to do the model and print work. Considering you sound like you have a number that need replaced.

You might have to send him one of the parts so he can make them

Paul,

you need to make this out of something that will not have the potential to break. i have a good material that i used on my bach. connie front truck that takes lots of abuse (read derailments)

Sent you a PM as well

Al P.

Thanks, all. Following up on a couple of these suggestions.

I have a spare one that I can give to Gilbert…I’ll call Gilbert and see if he will “Print” a few…

Fred Mills

Hi all.

Yes, I can make them as Bachman is out of stock for who knows how long.

It would be a custom order. I’d be making them in ABS plastic on my filament 3D printer.

I’ll borrow Fred Mills’ original in the next 2 weeks.

PM or email me if you need some.

Thank you

I am dremeling one out of a steamchest to send to Al in the next few days.

If Gilbert gets one from Fred, that’s good, too.

Thanks, all!

Hi all

Fred Mills lent me his original. I was able to make a 3D printed copy in ABS plastic.

The black one on the right is the new copy. The camera angle makes it look smaller than the original.

While I was at it, I added more material where the slide rails attach to the valve head. I was told this is where the part often breaks. The slide rail is tapered somewhat.

Thank you

An additional helpful action might be to add the crosshead guide hanger which Bachmann omitted.

I am not volunteering to design one for anyone else, my messy health nixes that, but am slooooowly scratchbuilding some for my Big Hauler collection because of 2 which have broken guides.

A difference between ‘commercial’ ones and my own would be to add a retaining part behind the guides to prevent pressure from pushing them inward, which is how they get broken.

The PRR BH got its broken in a derailment on a friend’s garden RY. It also broke the pilot truck as can be seen in the shadows. Have a couple ideas for an articulated truck, whether they get built is an open question.

The main part works best for me in .030 or .040 thick sheet styrene; .020 is too bendy & thicker than .040 is difficult for me to cut at the proverbial kitchen table because of problems with my hands.

“L” channel makes brackets to go against frame and on the crosshead guide rails.

I don’t have dimensions, eyeballed and cut index card templates until one was close enough.

Do have the template, somewhere, guess it could be found and measured.

1 Like

Some more photo detail of that part I think would go a long way to reducing breakage of the crosshead guides.

In first photo the 1 inch grid on work mat will give idea of size of part.

In second photo, which was taken just a few minutes ago, note the as yet unpainted retaining tab parts on the Glenbrook Valley loco’s crosshead guide support; they prevent guides from being pushed in and getting broken.

Maybe someday they will get painted, maybe not.

Put the top tab on before attaching support to loco, then glue lower tab in place with loco on its side on workbench.

1 Like