Large Scale Central

Summer-Fall 2021 Photo Thread

(As it’s a bit late for Spring photos, I started a new thread.)

Here’s C&S #22 (Aster) blowing off at the Paradise East steam-up in Newark Valley, NY. Thanks to Jerry (Naptowneng) for the loan of the cars.

Then, on my return from NY State, the loco went to Jerry’s for a spin with my new C&S cars, plus one or 2 or Jerry’s to adapt the couplers!

My Mogul with my new (to me) Colorado & Southern cars. It is apparent that, as I don’t have any EBT cars, the tender should say “C&S”. Behind you can see Jerry’s new string of WM boxcars, all custom painted and lettered.

Thanks Pete! You motivated me to take a few quick cell phone grabs. The railroad has seen no maintenance this year, but amazingly all track is still passable, but don’t look too close at the lack of ballast and ladder roadbed poking out.

Here C-19 #345 is making a run at Coal Dump Curve with a reasonable size coal drag and no help!

This next photo illustrates one of the reasons I’ve had little to no motivation this year. Most of my railroad is on the border with my neighbor. He rents and the latest tenants are not keeping the place up. That’s last year’s leaves still covering what was once grass. There were nice gardens near the road which are completely lost in 5 foot weeds that show up in any photos near Deep Cut (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)Still pulling hard up-grade, the train passes Indian Hill Junction…

Cresting the hill at Pine Summit…

Pictures of the turn were all out of focus, so we’ll skip to the return trip down-grade around Coal Dump Curve…

If it ever cools off enough for me to spend more than 15 minutes outdoors I might get the track back to looking maintained (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Jon Radder said:

If it ever cools off enough for me to spend more than 15 minutes outdoors I might get the track back to looking maintained (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

You and me both…:wink:

Nice to see these pictures…YES it has been rather “Warm”…!!

Up here in the HOT part of Eastern Ontario, with temperatures often hovering around 30-33C, we have had some good operations.

This past Wednesday morning, a group from Ottawa, visited Barry Birkett’s railroad in Bellville for a good operation, even with the temperature hitting 34C. It looks like today (August 28th) will be a rain-out here in Ottawa, but we have no complaints after 8 contiuous Saturdays of fine weather and operations.

Pictures…we got LOTS of pictures…all are on “Mike’s Blogs” found on the OVGRS web page at: www.ovgrs.ca…if anyone is interested.

It is nice to see that we aren’t the only ones braving the heat, and consuming gallons of water, along with the odd beer or three !!

We do very much miss our annual “Invaders” from the South…they always used to bring GREAT friendship, and pleasure to our “Neck of the woods”.

We look to a kinder, healthier future, where we again can get together.

Fred Mills

Jon Radder said: This next photo illustrates one of the reasons I’ve had little to no motivation this year. Most of my railroad is on the border with my neighbor. He rents and the latest tenants are not keeping the place up. That’s last year’s leaves still covering what was once grass. There were nice gardens near the road which are completely lost in 5 foot weeds that show up in any photos near Deep Cut (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

Looks good, Jon.

But, I’m afraid that the only way to guarantee ‘good’ neighbors is to not have any.

The weeds just give a nice green background, half of the plants I planted last spring have given up the fight in our oppressive heat here, so while most have survived , there are now lots of sad looking areas. I would give a lot for more green and less desert, but gotta work with what you have, can’t change unless I built a building and put it all inside

I hear you Pete. A whole stand of Solomon’s Seal that was doing great through July, began succumbing to the heat mid-August and yesterday I noticed most are gone! They usually last through September :frowning:

A september morning on the South Fork/ Shasta Pacific lines.

Shifting cars around the mill yard.

Junk abandoned in the woods

Hmmm is this considered drinking and driving ?

Rick Marty said:

A september morning on the South Fork/ Shasta Pacific lines.

Shifting cars around the mill yard.

Junk abandoned in the woods

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Hmmm is this considered drinking and driving ?

YES!

Rooster said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAEppFUWLfc

I see the yuppies took over and repaired the structures but what about the discarded junk ? Could it someday be restored??

For the last weekend of Summer, The Candlewood Valley Scenic Railway operated Run Everything That Does. Noticeably absent was C.V.S.Ry. C-19 #8 which is in the shop upgrading the wiring to take advantage of the cuff input on the latest software release for the LM-3S-G from Ring. Also absent was Shay #5 which hasn’t been converted to RailPro yet.

4 Trains staged in various locations around the wye prior to the parade back down the hill…

Some may notice the directional LEDs on Shorty are dark. Since M-10 was upgraded to on-board battery, car 152 is serving as an additional speaker only. Sounds awesome with the new ULT sound.

Ahhhhhhh! Shades of a little EBT Tourist Era Ops. Cool!

Your auxiliary speaker car, brought back memories of the “Kraft Cheesy Sound Car”. Good memories are good stuff.

Ric Golding said:

Ahhhhhhh! Shades of a little EBT Tourist Era Ops. Cool!

Your auxiliary speaker car, brought back memories of the “Kraft Cheesy Sound Car”. Good memories are good stuff.

Yep! Had room for two more in the tails if I get some more locos running!

Car #152 “Shorty” originated as the Fn3 version of the Cheesy Sound Car. Over the years Cheesy went through some changes, the last one being to include RC and battery. It still exists without any guts at the moment. I still own a single 1:29 train and someday it will get a Railpro loco module to allow that train to get some track time again!

Getting a bit late in the season, but still time to run trains at Jerry’s Spa Creek & McKendree RR. (You may notice that this loco was wearing EBT marks in my first post in this topic. All things must change . .) Mixed train in Clear Creek?

The next photo at the back of the layout shows my latest project, but I’ll leave you to figure that out.

I think this is my favorite pic in this thread

Good stuff guys !

Thanks Rooster, I had good filtered morning light.

delete duplicate post