Large Scale Central

Building Fronts for Backdrop

As you may, or may not know I’m building a shelf layout. I’m looking for G scale building fronts, they can either be plastic, prints, or cardstock which I can apply to my fronts, they probably won’t be much more then a inch, or two deep. Warehouse prints would probably be the best for me to work with, as you know I’m a modeler, so I can work with whatever I can get. I have not been able to find any in G Scale prints, do you know of any. Is it possible to take HO, or O scale prints to say Staples and they can blow them up to the size I want, do they have printers that will print say, 18"x36" size prints, or do I need to look elsewhere. I guess I just need some ideas on what and where to start and where to look for these type of prints, your ideas are welcome, thanks.

trainman

John, I used HO scale decals and took them to a copy/document type store and had them blown up to G-scale size

for my scratch built auto-racks and TOFC’s… Had them printed on decal paper, which I supplied…

These stores also made all kinds of large banners and stuff, and prints and stuff for office business presentations…

Most of those places have now been change to UPS or Fed-Ex names for the stores… I don’t see why it could not

be done with HO scale building prints to G-scale size…

John,

Yes your local copy supply house or big box copy/office supply store should be able to upscale prints for you. I do it all the time. I always bring a scale ruler with to make sure the final measurements are correct.

Would something such as these from Model Buildings work for you? Since they appear to be distributed as a PDF I would assume that they can be scaled up (enlarged) to an appropriate size. They also have a set of O scale buildings available.

You might try a search such as paper scale railroad buildings for other companies.

i just took pics, that i liked as basic idea, put the dimensions on cardboard and covered everything up with coffee stirrers.

you might look here:

http://kormsen.info/buildings/

I used these (https://familygardentrains.com/resource/buildings/building_fronts.htm), printed on tabloid size paper and then glued to foam board with a gluestick. Cut around the edges of the building with a razor knife an voila, buildings.

Printed Paper will fade over time - especially if you have flourescent lighting or sun from a window. Also if it gets wet it will run. (Think of dry dusting the shelf layout instead of using a spray cleaner) While this would be the most inexpensive way to go - and if you don’t mind redoing every so often, the best alternative would be to have it printed on a large format printer at a sign shop or a company that does work for trade shows (They are begging for work now) I’d offer to do it for you if my shop wasn’t so busy printing Covid19 warning stuff. But you can get it printed on vinyl to any scale, UV Laminated and adhere it to any firm background or get it printed on removable vinyl (think Fat Head TM) material and apply right to the wall. Of course it depends on your budget.

Scott

Thanks for all the replies, I’m reading them and considering all the options.

trainman

pghtrainfanatic on epay makes g scale building fronts. I have never used them as my layout is outdoors. But they are an option.

Is your layout set in Europe or America? Pola made some low relief German houses. There are some Faller #926 euro style house fronts on epay right now.

Do a search for G scale building fronts and building flats.

Depending on the kit, you could use the front and back to make two buildings flats.