Large Scale Central

suggested battery for engine

Going to be R/C a aristo 2-8-2 that will be pulling 7 aristo heavy weight cars, I see where controls are offered in both 5 and 10 amp also batteries that are 14.8 and 18.5 and was wondering onn thoughts for this application, Bill

Bill Barnwell said:

Going to be R/C a aristo 2-8-2 that will be pulling 7 aristo heavy weight cars, I see where controls are offered in both 5 and 10 amp also batteries that are 14.8 and 18.5 and was wondering onn thoughts for this application, Bill

Battery choice I would go for;

The higher voltage to get a fast top end speed

The largest capacity (mAHr) to increase run time.

Basic rule of thumb I use for my battery choices for a small industrial loco a lower voltage will do but for larger “mainline” locos a higher voltage is the choice.

Controller rating;

Go for higher rating as it will not be running near its limits (not knowing current draw of motor)

Hope this helps

Bill Barnwell said:

I second GAPs suggestions. 18.5V would be preferable for an Aristocraft loco rated up to 20V. Pulling 7 heavyweights (!) is quite a load and it may be drawing 2 amps or more, so a 4400mah battery or similar would be desirable (=4.4 amps for 1 hour).

I put a complete Aristo Train Engineer, the trackside one, in the tender of an Aristo Pacific many moons ago, and it worked fine.

Bill Barnwell said:

I second GAPs suggestions. 18.5V would be preferable for an Aristocraft loco rated up to 20V. Pulling 7 heavyweights (!) is quite a load and it may be drawing 2 amps or more, so a 4400mah battery or similar would be desirable (=4.4 amps for 1 hour). Make sure you use thick wires, not the skinny ones. (18 gauge or larger.)

I put a complete Aristo Train Engineer, the trackside one, in the tender of an Aristo Pacific many moons ago, and it worked fine.