Forums Modeling Modeling
  • Topic: Some of how I've been modelling trees.

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 12, 2020 7:59 PM EST
      • Denver, Colorado

• Thanks

Some of how I've been modelling trees.

Having decided that Joyce Kilmer was right when he wrote that only God can make a tree, and conceded that even a non-believer would have to agree with that, I've given up making model trees and have been using real trees. (By the way, since yesterday was Veteran's Day, so I'll mention that Joyce Kilmer was a veteran and died fighting in France in WWII.) I haven't written anything my experiements with trees because I wanted to see how they would hold up over the course of time, like over a year. So far I'm reasonably happy.

I'm partial to our mountain ponderosa pine, very majestic, but it ain't happening for me yet. I know Devon Sinsley made one himself during a Challenge a couple of years ago that was very convincing, but I couldn't make it work; maybe I'll try again. The only tree so far I've been able to find that I could use basically as is, with some pruning, and that would fit in my layout theme, is the Rocky Mountain Juniper. (I've stretched believability a little bit because my layout sits at nine to ten thousand feet above sea level and I have to admit I personally have never seen a juniper tree in the mountains about about 8,000 feet or something like that, but let's not get technical. I'm hoping to make up for this by naming my mountain freight yard Juniper Yard.)

I start with likely clippings from a tree around the corner from me and one in City Park. It's amazing how few juniper trees actually are the right scale in their branches.

Here's what they look like if you just stick 'em in the "ground" unmodified:

So what I do is I strip them of their seeds/berries (the bluish things) and then soak them in clear acrylic spray to keep the color fresh and the leaves on over time; although they do get sort of brittle, they keep their leaves. I shape them of course and plant them in the layout foam base in various places. Every few months, l find that I have to freshen up the color a bit with a light coating of spray paint of various green and brown colors. Anyway, here's some pictures of ones that have been on the layout since early last summer, like about a year and a half or something.

Hope you enjoy seeing these.

\

• November 12, 2020 9:52 PM EST
      • Waverly, Alabama

• Thanks

They look quite believable to me, John.  Even more so since they are actually from a real tree.  However, I have a sneaky feeling that touching up the color every few months might get old, to me at least.  Thanks for sharing.

• November 13, 2020 9:58 AM EST
      • Saint Helena, CALIFORNIA

• Thanks

I use the Blue Juniper sold by Landrel Brown:  Blueberry Juniper Evergreen Tree Kits.

I initially purchased the full kit but now I make the trunks myself and just use his Blueberry Juniper Foliage at $16 per pound.  This foliage is florist quality and appears to be preserved with glycerin so they don't dry out.  I bought my first kit in September of 2018 and the foliage looks as fresh as the day I recieved it.

Here are the links to the videos for the techniques that he uses and it is basically what I follow.

My tallest tree is about 40" with the average being about 30 or so inches.   I'm quit pleased with their effect and I can make a tree, trunk and branches, in about 6-8 hours. 

• November 13, 2020 10:10 AM EST
      • Spokane Valley, Washington St.

• Thanks

I've heard of using and preserving real trees before, but this is the first time I've seen the results.

Looks great!

This post was edited by John Bouck at November 14, 2020 8:15 PM EST
    • November 14, 2020 10:46 AM EST
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut

• Thanks

Very nice John!  Your layout has come a long way since I was there - Looking Good!

The trees are really nice, but I am intrigued by this car...

Looks a little like an Avanti, but too early. A Hudson perhaps?

www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

• November 14, 2020 1:56 PM EST
      • Saint Helena, CALIFORNIA

• Thanks

Looks like a Tucker to me.

• November 14, 2020 8:15 PM EST
      • Denver, Colorado

• Thanks

It is indeed a 1948 Tucker, engine in the rear, great doors, luggage in front. According to a quick search of auction records, one sold last year for $1,600,000 and a couple others at near and over two million. I woulda sold 'em mine for a couple hundred bucks:

• November 15, 2020 10:28 AM EST
      • Fort Worth, Texas

• Thanks

On my HOn3 layout I made most of my trees using the static grass applicator which when used correctly really does a nice job, but for G scale trees the amount of material needed for one tree could get expensive. Watch on YouTube the series Ub Railroad, he does trees many different way.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XgP_EhP-1M

trainman

This post was edited by John Lenheiser at November 15, 2020 10:34 AM EST
    • November 15, 2020 10:30 AM EST
      • Spokane Valley, Washington St.

• Thanks

Your very own for a lot less than 1.5 mil.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18-SCALE-DIECAST-1948-TUCKER-TORPEDO-IN-METALLIC-LIGHT-BLUE-BY-YAT-MING/184390980033?epid=1800056086&hash=item2aee8f11c1:g:jAYAAOSwfKJfKsYI

• November 15, 2020 10:43 AM EST
      • Candlewood Valley, Connecticut

• Thanks

Thanks John. Might as well be $1.5M - My discretionary budget is seriously in the red, Need to stop buying trains I don't need

www.cvsry.com www.cvsry.com

Forums Modeling Modeling

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google