Large Scale Central

Bells and Other Sound Effects

As many of you know, I’ve been working with Tony at RCS to get some US-style whistles for our r/c live steamers. I also told Tony we need a bell sound. Which leads to 2 questions:

1. Does anyone have a locomotive bell recording that Tony can use?

2. Were locomotive bells usually hand-activated (pull rope from cab) or rung by a steam-powered clapper?

More then you ever wanted to know

http://www.railroadiana.org/hw/pgBells.php#:~:text=Large%20steam%20locomotive%20bells%20were,--%20usually%20bronze%20or%20brass.&text=Still%20later%2C%20diesel%20locomotives%20and,rung%20by%20an%20air%20ringer.

I like this site for my (ahem) interest in RR stuff

Jerry

More then you ever wanted to know

Indeed. And now for some answers, I hope. . . Tony thinks most were hand operated, so the question is: does anyone have a recording?

Pete;

Both of the Porter steam locomotives that I ran for the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern had air ringers for their bells (an air cylinder physically moved the bell harp). Both of these locomotives were built in the 1920s, and they were just simple industrial switchers. To me anyway, this suggests that air ringers were fairly common on later production steam locomotives. I have been gone from the W, K&S for over 43 years now, so no chance for a recording. I could hear the workings pretty well from the locomotive cab. It was like: “Pssst! Clang! Pssst! Clang! Pssst! Clang! Pssst! Clang!” Not much help, I suppose, but gives you an idea.

Regards, David Meashey

Hello Dave and Peter.

Yes. it is quite possible air ringer bells were more widespread than I thought.

That will not be a problem actually.

The Micro SD player will have 8 trigger-able sound slots so it can have two types of bells.
The hardware is working fine so all it will need to get going are suitable files.

The user will also be able to add their own sounds as well.

This new doodad is a follow on to the single play whistles I have for Live Steam locos right now.
They will be announced this week and the 8 slot version as soon as I am happy it is right.

Pete Thornton said:

As many of you know, I’ve been working with Tony at RCS to get some US-style whistles for our r/c live steamers. I also told Tony we need a bell sound. Which leads to 2 questions:

1. Does anyone have a locomotive bell recording that Tony can use?

2. Were locomotive bells usually hand-activated (pull rope from cab) or rung by a steam-powered clapper?

Pete

1. I have bell recordings of several steam locomotives 24 bit 96KHz that you can have. Most of the recordings are raw but have been used by a variety of sound manufacturers.

2. Some locomotives have steam-powered bells and some do not. The larger more recient mainline locomotives were for the most part steam-powered. But earlier ones were not. In the NG I have fired a short section when they had to turn 315 and it was hand rung. The K36s are steam-powered. However just because a locomotive has a steam-powered bell does not always mean that it is used. For example while an engineer on a K36 reciently the steam -power mechanism was having problems so the fireman was hand ringing the bell.

Hope that helps

Stan

1. I have bell recordings of several steam locomotives 24 bit 96KHz that you can have. Most of the recordings are raw but have been used by a variety of sound manufacturers.

Stan, I’d love to see if they will work. I sent you a PM.

It would really depend on the engine or more properly the vintage and"modern-ness" of said engine. I am a fireman on WW&F # 9 built in 1891 and not the latest design at the time. I pull a rope to ring the bell! It can be a lot and loud or softer depending on my mood and the situation. The whistle is also old school, being a single note hooter rather than a chime whistle.

It would really depend on the engine or more properly the vintage and"modern-ness" of said engine. I am a fireman on WW&F # 9 built in 1891 and not the latest design at the time. I pull a rope to ring the bell! It can be a lot and loud or softer depending on my mood and the situation. The whistle is also old school, being a single note hooter rather than a chime whistle.

https://youtu.be/AKFecDz4jbk