Forum Sponsorsss

Forums General Track and Trestles
  • Topic: My First Garden Railroad Build

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • November 8, 2020 10:35 PM EST
      • Kansas City, US-KS

• Thanks

Got some more done today while the weather was warm.  Going to have to deal with roots from a big tree which is in the middle of the layout.  I hope I can go over them as cutting roots will eventually kill the tree.  Thankfully I didn't have much problem with the cedar on the right in the below pic.  I might have to rip out that bush as I need two rows of track to go between it and the wall.  I don't want to run track along the wall as I want to use it as a maintenance path.   

• November 14, 2020 6:11 PM EST
      • Kansas City, US-KS

• Thanks

Took advantage of the warm weather this week.  Almost got the back 50 done.  Straight as a handmade arrow.  

• November 15, 2020 10:45 AM EST
      • Fort Worth, Texas

• Thanks

Looking good, I have found that one length of 1/2" rebar run in the gravel with concrete mix mixed in the gravel and then watered in works well and helps over time the track bricks from moving around. It very little added expense and work, just something else to do and give thought to. 

trainman

This post was edited by John Lenheiser at November 15, 2020 10:47 AM EST
    • November 15, 2020 2:28 PM EST
      • Kansas City, US-KS

• Thanks

Hmm, good idea.  I did glue all the bricks together with landscape adhesive so they shouldn't move too much.  The problem I had initially, I was measuring from the fence to ensure I didn't get too close, and well, the wood isn't straight.  lol  

• November 15, 2020 4:33 PM EST
      • Fort Worth, Texas

• Thanks

Derailed said:

Hmm, good idea.  I did glue all the bricks together with landscape adhesive so they shouldn't move too much.  The problem I had initially, I was measuring from the fence to ensure I didn't get too close, and well, the wood isn't straight.  lol  

Good idea on gluing the bricks should help, a straight railroad track is BOARING, it should go up and down gradually and weave somewhat through the county side just like the full size railroad did. 

trainman

• November 15, 2020 9:50 PM EST
      • Kansas City, US-KS

• Thanks

The wall is there to contain the fill.  The track will be free floating on ballast, not running along the top of the wall.  I want to keep the wall free so I can walk along it as it abuts the fence and I need a path to get to problems.  I would like to have one track run over the other but I just don't know yet if I have enough distance on the narrow side (by the path) for the incline/decline.  I can't dig much of a cut for the lower line because of the roots.  I might have to pull out one of those bushes.  At a minimum I will have to create an arbor tunnel through them.  I need to lay down the track and see. 

• November 22, 2020 12:41 AM EST
      • Kansas City, US-KS

• Thanks

Laid down the outside track to get a feel for where to put the 3rd wall.  

Forums General Track and Trestles

Icon Legend

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is enabled
    HTML  is enabled

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel

Ads by Google