Large Scale Central

Airwire systems

While searching for Airwire RC battery systems in RLD I came across several, seems like every engine has a different part # so my ? is there really a difference between all these kits or is it just different installation instructions?

Bill, there’s one transmitter (T-5000) and customized “Drop-in” receiver/decoder boards to accommodate specific USA Trains locos. The Drop-in boards make it easier to install the Airwire decoder with the battery, sound card, and speaker together. Then there are various batteries available to fit specific locos. For example, for my USAT GP-9, I have the GP-9 Drop-in decoder. a 14.8 6800 mah lithium-ion battery pack, a Phoenix P8 soundboard, a special cable to connect the decoder to the sound card, a speaker, and a charger jack/cable. The most recently released board is the G4 decoder which replaces the G3-x and incorporates automatic coupler operation.

Michael an asking for a friend, he is RCing an engine and has a friend with a used airwire system that he was going to buy but after seeing all the ones for sale on RLD it spurred my interest as to whether it would work so if I’m understanding you correctly it should work only problem is if it has the correct cables or not, Bill

There are two “AirWire systems” threads going on at the same time and your getting overlapping post, the moderator needs to combine the two and get it all in one post.

trainman

John Lenheiser said:

There are two “AirWire systems” threads going on at the same time and your getting overlapping post, the moderator needs to combine the two and get it all in one post.

trainman

Since you are the OP of both threads, only you can make those requests of Benevolent Bob our fearless leader. I suspect if you ask instead of tell, things will be smoother.

Yes there is a difference…

The AirWire Drop-ins and Plug-ins were designed for the ease of installation in model specific engines. The concept is “plug and play” installation. Drop-Ins are modular circuit boards with slide switches which replace the OEM circuit board and are model specific, with female sockets for lighting, motor, power, sound and such. Some engines (iteration specific) are easier to plug and play than others and require some re-wiring. Typically its the older versions fall in this category. In this case some wiring will be required. The Plug-ins are circuit boards that take advantage of the OEM engine plug and play sockets, manufacturer/model specific

The other decoders offerings (many iterations/improvements) are universal or generic in application and require users to wire their engines as required.

All AirWire900 decoders will function with any of the their three hand held Transmitters as I recall.

Michael

I’m thinking of going to Airwire for an LGB Forney that I’ve been struggling to convert. Has anyone done this?? If so what decoder is the appropriate one??

Richard

LGB forneys have a large weight in the boiler and there is not enough room for multiple boards and these need to be somewhat narrow.

I am DCC track power and put the decoder in the boiler and the speaker in the fuel bunker.

Hi Richard, here is another idea. If you use the RailPro single module, Radio, Control & Sound, you can fit the module into the boiler. You can use track or battery power. The battery is mounted on the back wall of the cab. Connect the lights and smoke directly to the RailPro module.

Another idea if you want Airwire would be to use one of their convtr boards with some other brand decoder. I have used the TCS decoders which seem to work fine with Airwire.

http://www.cvpusa.com/airwire_convrtr_series.php#convrtrinfo

Don Sweet said:

Hi Richard, here is another idea. If you use the RailPro single module, Radio, Control & Sound, you can fit the module into the boiler. You can use track or battery power. The battery is mounted on the back wall of the cab. Connect the lights and smoke directly to the RailPro module.

I am intrigued by the battery that mounts to the back of the cab…what kind/size is it and what kind of run time? The current RC system I’m trying to install includes a Phoenix P8 for sound. Perhaps you can email me setup and quote that will work.

Thanks,

Richard