Large Scale Central

Test angles & backgrounds

OK, Third time the charm? I’ve written this post twice before. Attempt 1 I hit the back button in error, then lost power during proof read of attempt 2

With the outdoor railroad relatively free of weeds and operational, it’s finally time to start planning a few Summer Photographer Specials. But first, we need to scope out new locations and changes to old ones due to construction and vegetation growth / trimming. So I dragged out my pocket point-n-shoot to take some test shots of a hopper train. What follows are lots of pictures, some better than others with just a few captions.

The first location was rarely shot before because of my neighbors yard looking shabby. A new tenant has been cleaning up and built a a dry stack wall while I added a landscape block wall and a row of Arborvitaes as a view block. They still need to grow some, and I could probably use a few more, but it’s better than last summer…

I still need to figure out how not to see the car parked on the street, or only shoot when he is not home…

Last year the background in this shot would have been a mess of weeds and bare earth in the neighbor’s yard…

So here is a good example of why the test shots. It ill be very easy to hide that electrical block switch box with a bigger rock, or a portable plant. Then new test shots will be made to determine if placement works…

And what - is that left over blue tape on the bridge :open_mouth:- and a few paint chips need touch up…

I’ll study these and the 30 or so that were not good enough to post and make some improvements for the camera. Once I’m happy I’ll hope for a good weather day and drag out the DSLR for some real pictures

Jon Radder said:

I still need to figure out how not to see the car parked on the street,

A couple poles, some appropriate fabric, and voila! green screen special effects!

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Jon Radder said:

I still need to figure out how not to see the car parked on the street,

A couple poles, some appropriate fabric, and voila! green screen special effects!

That certainly would work, but I try to do very little post processing. If I can make it look good naturally I’ll go that route. When those little 1 gallon trees grow big and strong they will work well. I just need a short term work around.

Wow that is a beautiful layout, and rolling stock.

Dennis

those shots around the reworked curve are looking great Jon. Plantings have filled in well.

An idea for now on the background would be to shoot from a higher angle as though the only view into the area is from a cliff, always keeping the right edge of the shot at the base of the new plantings.(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Some beautiful shots, Jon… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

At least there were no “Roosta” bombing (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Sean McGillicuddy said:

At least there were no “Roosta” bombing (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Fixed it for you Sean

The plan for today was to get that train out again. stage some cars at industries, and scout some locations at the top of the hill. Got the first cars staged, and a couple of angles scoped out for one location, then it started to rain. I quickly grabbed up all the equipment and ran it all back inside. Will try again tomorrow with a few other locations. These shots are all angles around the Walk Landing Trans-Load and Walk Crossing…

For these angles I was able to avoid and/or crop out most of 1:1 man-made items unless you look close.

Nice picture.

Thanks David,

For an auto everything, cheap, point-n-shoot pocket camera it does OK, sometimes! that angle kinda looks like a drone shot (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

I just hope I get enough good weather over the next couple of days to get some DSLR shots before the weeds grow back.

That shot also avoids the creep into the neighbors yard while showing the train bathed in its surrondings

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

That shot also avoids the creep into the neighbors yard while showing the train bathed in its surroundings

Lucky crop! If you look close, just above the engine house you can see a dark area right at the crop line. That’s the neighbor’s car tire! Planning to get out there today with teh good camera and maybe some white cards to help with lighting.

This will be my last “test” photo. The railroad ran a Photographer’s Special today. I took over 300 shots with the DSLR in RAW mode, which I don’t usually do. Once I select a few winners they will need to be processed and will be posted in a new thread. Maybe a teaser tonight.

Another pose by Walk Landing Trans-Load, this time with a diesel freight in the background working the industry that occupies the Engine House…