Large Scale Central

Engine slows when smoke engaged

I have an LGB 26194 Mogul with a Zimo 696V decoder. When the smoke is engaged, the engine slows down to a very slow speed. As soon as I turn off the smoke, it resumes full speed. I don’t know if this is related to my other problem with the ABC. I wired it the same way as my other engines which do not have this problem.

The smoke is wired to the F6 pin L12 and the 10v pin L9, just like I have done it in my other three engines.

The CVs are set as follows:

33=13, 34=14, 60=160, 114=128, 137=75, 138=100, 139=130

Also, in case it helps.

Front lamp wired to Pin L10 and 10v pin L9. Rear lamp wired to Pin L15 and the 10v pin L9,

Firebox leds wired through a buck board to Front lamp pin L10 and 22v track power pin L20.

Supercaps to ground pin L19 and Capacitor Pin R9.

The three track sensors are connected Pins R3, R4 and R10, ground pin R6, and to low voltage pin R11 set to 5v and they all work fine.

I am pretty sure it is wired correctly as I took it apart and doublechecked the wiring. I also applied a second coating of rubber tape in case there was a short. When I reinstalled the engine, it worked fine for one night. The next night (last night) the smoke issue reappeared.

Anyone have any ideas where to look.

Sounds like you smoked the smoker. Did you run it dry?

The smoke Stack still works.

Zimo decoders as well as many others have a half speed capability and is usually F4. If this feature is set to F6 then your engine will go to half speed.

Since I have a Zimo system I turn this feature off as my handheld has a half speed feature not related fo a function key.

Check manual for operation using CV124, 155, 156, 157 to get half speed settings.

Better to run slow when smoking then to smoke when running slow (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)Hopefully Dan has your answer.

Thanks, I will try and test it tonight and see if I inadvertently changed one of those settings.

I set those CVs to their stock settings of 3, 0, 0, 0 respectively and get no change. I guess I need to take it apart again.

Also note that CV’s in the 400 range can remap function keys. Which Mogul sound did you use? T12 (4-6-0 Bachmann) or LGB mogul?

DSP&PRR 72 / C&S Mogul 9 from Heinz Dueppen version 141006

Perhaps it is time for a reset and then re-enter your changes.

Did you download the documentation? at the end is the CV’s that were ‘tuned’ for that project.

Resetting seems to have fixed this issue. Thanks.